Attractions

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ericsabres29

Attractions

Post by ericsabres29 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:44 am

We used to go up to black lake every year, but we haven't been there in about 2 years. Is Edwardsville store back in business ? How about the oasis ? Did they finally come back?
Eric

Fishpro

Re: Attractions

Post by Fishpro » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Sorry and sad to say - the Edwardsville store (at the corner) is long gone for almost two seasons now. Two guys had purchased the place and had it turned over to a fast food place. Didn't last more than one season. As for the Oasis restaurant that also is gone. The nearest store and gas place is across the road from the Sunnyside motel and camp. There is however another new restaurant in Hammond. It is called the Olive something or other. It is roughly three or four doors down the hill from the Catholic Church. The place is done in a Mexican style and is nice. Catch & Release!

ericsabres29

Post by ericsabres29 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:02 am

Thank you for the information ! Any idea how much gas is at that place?
Eric

ericsabres29

Post by ericsabres29 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:03 am

Thank you for the information ! Any idea how much gas is at that place?
Eric

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:41 am

There are plenty of little places to get food and other supplies.

The Paddle Inn has good food and a great fish fry on Friday's. It is just north of Edwardsville on the left.

The Fishbone Cafe down at McClears has good food and is accessible from the road or the lake. Good breakfasts and usually have homemade pies.

The Turner Inn is just up 58 from Edwardsville on the left. Decent little bar with good burgers.

The Bedrock Cafe is up in Morristown and has very good food and a nice bar area. Its a little more expensive though.

And don't forget Alexandria Bay is only 25 minutes away and has a TON of places to eat and shop.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:08 am

As for the price of gas, I always fill up prior to going up to the lake. You can expect to pay anyware from 5 to 15 cents more per gallon near the lake. One thought to consider would be to gas up when you come off of Exit 49 - RT 81 going to RT 37. They are usually about 5 - 8 cents cheaper than near the lake or at least thats what I have noticed. Like everwhere else the price of gas fluctuates. The further North one goes the higher the price. There is also the convience feature of having it available near the lake. Catch & Release!

ericsabres29

Post by ericsabres29 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:31 am

That's what I figured and I knew about the turner and paddle inn! Of course Alex bay is always nice to go and see.
Eric

craiglemans

Post by craiglemans » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:11 am

I try to support the places by the lake the most that I can. If we don't support them, they won't be for much longer. Just look at the list of places that have closed around the lake. Even if gas is $0.15 cents a gallon more (that's less than 4%), it's worth it to me to be able to help support a local business.

If you are looking for ethanol free gas, I noticed that the alex bay bait shop now has ethanol free 91 octane.

mjvr2c
Newly Registered User

Post by mjvr2c » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Where exactly is the Catholic Church? Need to get there from Camp Carol on Rt. 6 in Hammond. But I've never been to Black Lake at all and flying blind at this pont.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Just a note, the gas station in Edwardsville now has ethanol free gas.

Let's support a black lake business buy paying a few bucks extra to gas up our boats there.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:26 pm

RE: Hammond Catholic Church

Coming South of Rt 6 from Camp Carol and into Hammond Village you will find the Catholic church to be on the right side of the road. It is roughly in the middle of the town. Sunday Mass is at 9:30. Before you reach the church there is a new cafe known as the Spicy Olive. You might want to check it out. The place is done in a Spanish mode but serve many varieties of food. Catch & Release!!