Crappie Tournament

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

erik

Crappie Tournament

Post by erik » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:01 pm

How come there aren't any crappie tourneys on the lake anymore? I've owned my camp for four years now and I keep hearing about that there used to be a pretty big one. Is there any interest for one or do you think it would be a waste of time?

Everyone please respond!

ShaneO19

Re: Crappie Tournament

Post by ShaneO19 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:31 am

I think it would be great. I am surprised that more tournaments aren't put on by the places there. I am sure the Log Cabins makes a lot from the Dash for Cash especially considering all the people that need places to stay when joining. Why not have more?

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:29 am

Don't mean to rain on you guys parade but the less tournaments on Black Lake the better. Through the years I have watched a few of the Bass & Crappie Tourneys that were held. In short they are discusting . The Crappie population has been reduced considerably from where it was. We also have a problem with people, in and out of the season, catching and keeping undersized and over the limit of Bass, Pike and Crappie. Tournaments are good for the businesses and I don't wish any harm to them. They are hard working people who are merely trying to make a living. However, speaking of the welfare of the lake, the less tourneys and traffic on the lake the better it is for the fishery. Protecting the lakes fishery is priority one. Catch & Release!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:13 pm

If tournaments are run properly (C&R preferred), then there should be little to no impact on the fishery, with a positive impact on the local economy. Everyone wins.

I do agree however that over-harvesting and illegal catches are a bad thing. Focusing on stopping that type of negative behavior would go a lot further to help the fishery than not allowing tournaments.

Regardless .... there are still a TON of fish in the lake and the fishing is outstanding.

erik

Post by erik » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:55 pm

I just read on the black lake face book page that DEC arrested a couple guys for over the limit blue Gil's and selling them. We need more policing on the lake, especially during ice fishing.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:07 pm

erik wrote:I just read on the black lake face book page that DEC arrested a couple guys for over the limit blue Gil's and selling them. We need more policing on the lake, especially during ice fishing.
Ha Ha, ice-fishers are a "drop in the bucket" compared to softwater fishers, when it comes to regulation abuse. Sorry -
I'm glad DEC got out there and made an arrest. Too bad they don't make the buying of fish illegal. JMO
BTW - I quit posting PICs for you guys - didn't quit catching and eating though. :O
Phil

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:20 pm

Yeah I think all tournaments should be catch and release where the target species is able to be kept alive well. Not many people ever fish for crappies to release them. So that might deter some who don't just want the competition. Always good to catch people exploiting the fishery like that. Although sunfish are the one species where it might not hurt to over harvest a bit.

tr21

Post by tr21 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:41 am

I do not condone what those people did, as far as being over the limit. The economic conditions have a lot to do with it. The buying of fish should be stopped. It is going on all over. Its hurting the fishing all over the state.

HappyCamper

Post by HappyCamper » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:33 pm

While I also don't condone breaking the law and catching more than the legal limit, I do not see an issue with the selling of bluegills. Reducing the number of Bluegills, as I understand it, helps the other fish populations. Bluegills compete for food and prey on the eggs and young of bass and other fish. I just haven't seen any evidence that this practice is harming the fishery and I consider myself a tree hugging conservationist.
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Most lakes have no limit or size restriction on bluegills .... because of what you just said.

But, also like you said, illegal is still illegal.

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:32 am

Statewide regulations are a limit of 50 for all sunfish.

Honus Bonnet
Newly Registered User

Post by Honus Bonnet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:16 am

I'm very happy to say there is a large number of us that rarely keep any of the fish we catch in the lake. Catching and releasing 200 Crappies per day is not much of a trick on the lake for 2 people (although I suspect that many of our daily catch are the same crappie over and over). On a good day, a dozen pike are easily caught and released by a pair of keen anglers. I too have seen the general size of landed fish spiraling downward. In the early 90's we were catching pike generally in the mid 30's. By 2006 the size of females we were getting was closer to 30-31. I'm bring two guys up on Saturday the 4th and we expect to catch and release at least 100 Crappies (ok... the same 10 Crappie 10 times each), several pike, and a Walleye or two. When we go home all of them will hopefully be swimming away waiting for you next week. I might invite Mr. Bullhead home for dinner if he's feeling cordial.