Newcomer to Black Lake, Need Help!!!

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

BassMaster24
Newly Registered User

Newcomer to Black Lake, Need Help!!!

Post by BassMaster24 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:49 am

Hey everyone! I’m new to this forum and I am in need of some real help! I will be fishing Black Lake for the first time ever next week from the 14th to the 18th out of the Log Cabins with my father and little brother on our annual fishing trip. As a senior in college who works full-time during the summers, this trip is one of the few opportunities I have to spend quality time with my family anymore. And as much as I’ve always enjoyed this annual trip… we almost NEVER run into good fishing!! We’ve fished everywhere from Lake Champlain to Lake Ontario with no success, but after browsing through this forum and doing some other research, we are very optimistic about this year’s trip to BL.
As complete newcomers to the lake, I would appreciate any advice to help us put lots of fish in the boat! We are avid bass fishermen who love to catch the occasional big pike! I would love some advice on hot spots for bass and pike this time of year (we have a big Triton bass boat so anywhere on the lake is really an option if the weather’s alright). Also, what kind of lures should we stock up on? And how does live bait do?
I would appreciate really any advice you Black Lake veterans are willing to share to keep us from having another fishless trip!

Thanks Guys!

jwfoba

Re: Newcomer to Black Lake, Need Help!!!

Post by jwfoba » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Did you read my post from trip 7/20-28?
"Jack of all trades, Master of none"
JWFOBA... AKA "Hammer"

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:51 am

Welcome, the bass will probably be on the deeper weedline edges. Also the deep shoals should be prime.The water is as low as it gets. As for baits, stick worms in green patters will catch bass. Pike, well...good luck finding the big ones!
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

dougw

Post by dougw » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Welcome..... with the low water levels make sure you observe ALL marker bouys.... there are big rocks that will destroy your boat and ruin your good time... Hope you have some great fishing....
I've been coming to Black Lake since 1967...

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Before 8am and later at night are the best times to fish. I seem to fish around 10 to 4pm all the time as a local who has to go when I get the time and can find a partner to go. It is very hard during those times as their seems to be a boat already sitting along most weed egdes. Fat baby craws deep off island banks just past the weeds seems to be working. I don't use live bait as I love finesse fishing with soft plastics however I hear that always floating pike minnows under a bobber behind your boat when fishing works wonders for some nice pike. Good luck