Navionics Hotmaps Premium and Platinum

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

StrikeKing

Navionics Hotmaps Premium and Platinum

Post by StrikeKing » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:11 pm

Does anyone have the navionics card for their fish/depth finder? I was wondering if we could get a discussion going about tips/tricks/pointers/different ways we use them so that we could all explore these units and maximize their full potential. I just got a new unit with structure scan...used it once...wow. that's all i can say...just wow. i almost feel guilty fishing with it.
SK

WalleyeHunter

Post by WalleyeHunter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:35 pm

I have the latest Premium version. It's useless on Black lake.

It's great on Oneida, St Lawrence river, and Canadarago. Those are the only bodies of water that it's useful on.

My stock chip on my 898si show's the same detail on BL.

On the three above, I've used the Nav chip to follow a contour line, and then back track it with I-Pilot. Amazing!

Love my side imaging, also!

StrikeKing

Post by StrikeKing » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:22 pm

I haven't tried mine yet on BL, why do you think it's worthless?

I agree, I used it on Oneida last week...holy shit. It really is amazing.
SK

492VS

Re: Navionics Hotmaps Premium and Platinum

Post by 492VS » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:33 pm

StrikeKing wrote:Does anyone have the navionics card for their fish/depth finder?
I have one of the premium navionics hot map cards that is a few years old. I don't trust the thing as most of the time when fishing a shoreline it either shows me on land or way off the bank. My card does have a few high definition lake maps for selected lakes that are very popular in the north east. Black Lake is not one of them. I don't trust the depth contour line either. In other words my opinion of the map is total junk. When running thru the narrows by Tavern island it shows me on land. Not something I would trust following in the fog or dark.

StrikeKing

Post by StrikeKing » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:54 pm

I just got mine two weeks ago and have only had a chance to use it once on Oneida Lake. I took my Delorme Earthmate PN-40 with me to see if it matched, and it was always dead on. The contour lines for depth were ok, not perfect, but not totally off either.
I like how it saves my courses, so I can look back at them when I'm done, but I'm wondering why I can't see things like "Pins Island" on the map screen like I can in the paper version of the hotmap.
SK

nanookofnj

Post by nanookofnj » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:03 am

but I'm wondering why I can't see things like "Pins Island" on the map screen like I can in the paper version of the hotmap.
Like numerous posters have stated, there's no map on those cards for Black Lake. So you're stuck with the stock images. It's really like night and day in comparison. Most of the cards will list what detailed maps are on them. Unfortunately, BL is usually not one of them.

fishinmagician

Navionics Chip

Post by fishinmagician » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:42 pm

I just read your input on the Nav Chip. I have the Navionics Hot/Map Premium East Dec 2006. I have used it on BL and it seems to be spot on. If anyone has tried to find the exact top of the Church Shoal, you know what I mean. The top of that shoal is not much longer than the boat I was in while looking for it. (18ft) I have to ask you a question. Did you go into the program and select the proper information. My chip has very detailed info on BL. Contour line, Rocks, Nav hazards, shoals, etc. I have followed my trail (trace) line in the fog and at night and maybe by the luck of the Irish I haven't hit anything yet. If your map has you on land while your floating, you might want to call the cust serv # for Navionics and ask them why your traveling a dirt road running parallel to the lake shore. The unit I'm using is a Lowrance LMS522c igps. Let me know how you make out.
The second amendment is in place, in case THEY decide to ignore all the others.