how much rain this time around!

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

moonriver

how much rain this time around!

Post by moonriver » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Just sitting here in Central PA this morning, and wondering how much rain the lake received this time? We actually received two inches of MUCH NEEDED rain, but I know the lake has had its share this year!
Life is short, everday is a gift from God, make everyday count!

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Here's a link to a weather station located at the lake. Thanks Don Narocki!

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =KNYHAMMO5

If you look around you will find the rain data you are looking for. Look at the rate at about 3:15 today - .85"/hour!
Tomorrow - if you look at the "weekly" tab you will get the totals for today.
Lots of weather information there.
Phil

moonriver

Post by moonriver » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 am

Wow! Thanks for the link! That is some very good information! Looks like it got a little breezy also. Thanks again
Life is short, everday is a gift from God, make everyday count!

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:52 pm

As of now, 7:47PM, Don's weather station at Big Bay is reporting 3.37" of rain since midnight; and we are still getting it. This should make the lake a little high and "muddy" :!: Especially since this much and more rain has been falling, throughout the day, across the Indian River Chain of lakes and from the other direction, Cranberry Lake and the Oswegatchie River. I've seen the lake "fill up" from both ends in the past and it rises in the hurry when this condition occurs.
Phil

3wisem

Post by 3wisem » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:52 am

I was driving thru Theresa on Monday and noticed that the Indian river behind the dam was dropped at least ten feet. I have to believe that this release of water will also make the lake rise eventually. Anyone know why the dropped the river so much behind the dam in Theresa?

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:14 pm

3wisem wrote:I was driving thru Theresa on Monday and noticed that the Indian river behind the dam was dropped at least ten feet. I have to believe that this release of water will also make the lake rise eventually. Anyone know why the dropped the river so much behind the dam in Theresa?
Preparation for the coming rain?
Phil

3wisem

Post by 3wisem » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Phil you could be right, since I drove by today on my way to the lake and that 10ft and much more has been made up. It was the highest I have ever seen the Indian River. The lake is at spring time levels already and I'm sure will only continue to rise as water empties into it.

BC

Water level update

Post by BC » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Lake is up over two feet since the rain a few days ago and still rising. Lots of docks underwater. Boat ramp dock at least one foot underwater. Two aluminum boats got loose in the narrows and were floating away. Both rescued by some nice folks. Another boat dockside ready to sink. Where are the people who own this stuff? Not at the lake obviously!

Tori

water is very high!

Post by Tori » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Just got back from our Black Lake cottage. The water is about 7 inches over my dock and I just pray that my cleats and ropes hold my boat in place.
No rain when I got to the cottage on Friday afternoon, but the water was up near the edge of my dock....few hours later the water was even with my dock. Next morning the water was an inch or two deep on the dock. When I left this afternoon the water was 7 inches over the dock. Lots of docks flooded badly and boats look like they are islands out in the water. Did not see any loose boats like the previous poster.
I did hear that the Oswagotchie River takes on a great deal of water from the Adirondacks and then the water backs up into Black Lake. The damn near the entrance into the St. Lawrence won't let the water out as they make lots of money off this increased water flow. The water thus backs up into the lake big time!! No weeds right now....they are all under water by a foot or so!
I will be back up next week and just pray that my Rinker is still tied to the dock!
Tori

wwb3occ

Post by wwb3occ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:34 am

I am the operator of the Ogdensburg Hydro plant and would like to let you know that we have no control over the levels in the black lake. The water levels there are controled by the eel weir dam. Im sure they could bring it down to normal level fast, but there are regulations in place by the Fed gov that only allows for certain amounts of water above and below the actual dam level. If they let it all out at one time they would lose all there stored water and that is lost income for their company. If I opened all my flood gates and ran full out I would drain the Oswegatchie in about 10 minutes. I am not required to open any of my flood gates until the water level is 5 feet over my dam by the Fed requirements. But because there are camps and houses up stream and they start flooding after the level reaches 2.5 feet high we start opening flood gates to not flood the residence. If anyone would like a tour of the Ogdensburg facility please feel free to stop by M-F before 3 pm and I would love to show you around and how the water levels are regulated.

Thank you,
WB

BC

Post by BC » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Best dam info I've seen on here yet. :wink:

Tori

Post by Tori » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:57 pm

WB,
Thanks for the info on the dam. When do you think that Black Lake will be down to "normal" levels? I know that is a tough question to answer, but consider that we get "normal" rains from now on.
Thanks, Tori