Water level

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Steve Milarmby

Water level

Post by Steve Milarmby » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 am

From wny has the water stopped rising yet? Never seen it this high this late and whats the deal with the Indian river being lowered

Daves
Site Admin

Post by Daves » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Water is up about 4 feet from last Wednesday. There are docks underwater all around the lake. Watch for floating debris while boating. The rising water has slowed considerably for now, rain in the forecast for tomorrow.

3wisem

Post by 3wisem » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Drove along the St. Lawerance River from Massena to Ogdensburg today and found that the river is about a foot lower then normal. The gates on the river north of Lisbon were all open letting water flow. Hopefully this will allow the lake to flow into the St. Lawerance.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:56 pm

I doubt the St. Lawrence has much effect on Black Lake. The gates on Iroquois Dam are almost always wide open, don't know if I've ever seen them closed. The St. Lawrence has been low since last summer, never reached a "high" level this past spring. There are two dams between the St. Lawrence and Black Lake. Both have power generation facilities, both have a dam that the water flows over the top. The lake level will fall when it quits raining in it's watershed and time passes. There is not much control over the level of Black Lake, it's pretty much a Mother Nature control.

Watch the image on this web cam and you will know what the water level is doing: Image
There are two docks underwater in the current image. You can see the dock posts sticking out of the water.

Black Lake is a very interesting watershed.
Phil

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:50 pm

I wouldn't say Black Lake is a natural watershed with 2 dams. And neither is the St. Lawrence River. When the Seaway project was completed in the 1950's, it was a major national event, opening a passageway from the Great Lakes to the Ocean. The St. Lawrence is very much like a reservoir with a scheduled water level drop each fall. Lake Ontario is the only Great Lake being artificially controlled by man.

The current at the Edwardsville bridge had been in reverse lately and the lake had been filling up from both ends. My guess is they didn't want the water going into the St. Lawrence that quickly because of the scheduled drawdown.

Maybe I'm wrong but right now I feel both the lake and the river are being controlled.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:37 pm

Well - you need to go take a look at the dams in Ogdensburg and EelWire. They are both over the top at springtime levels. Water is at FULL release on the flood gates as well. The two dams between Black Lake and the St. Lawrence do not afford much "control". AND if you think the St. Lawrence River is like a reservoir, I'd like to take you for a ride where I fish on the "river". I agree, there are areas on the river that resemble reservoirs, but make no mistake - it is a river and it "moves" like one.

Generally, I would disagree and debate all points you make.

Black Lake is still on the rise. It's been higher though. Look at this way - the lake will be getting "renewed" with a good "flushing". :D

I'm getting ready for a great season ice-fishing.
Phil

earl

water level

Post by earl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Was up last wk. end and found our dock hanging on one pipe.We pulled the dock but could't get yhe pipes. Just talked to my son and he tells me the water is now up to full spring time level.Looks like it will be Nov before we can get the pipes out

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Earl - just wait til the ice comes in, the water falls and you can "chop" them out this winter :D The lake is about as high as I've ever seen it for this time of year. The indian River must be really wild at the falls there.
Phil

Tori

Water levels

Post by Tori » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Just got back from our cottage on B.L. My son and myself got totally soaked to the bone for a couple of hours taking out our dock. The dock must have had at least two feet of water on top of it. Reaching down and loosening bolts and getting the pipes out was not fun....we froze by the time it was over and were totally drenched. We have had the cottage for 6 years now and this water level is the highest in the fall that I have ever seen it. These levels would be early spring like.....when no one has their docks in the water!

I also took my 19 foot Rinker IO out of the water and was lucky to get it in one piece because of the high water. The boat has a Merc 140 in it and open bow and a canopy top. The boat runs very well and our family has had many good times on it. I put the boat and trailer up by the road near the Black Lake Tavern and it is for sale.....$3,000 or best offer takes it. I want a pontoon boat now! We have a new grandchild and need something that fits everyone's needs. Email me if you or anyone you know is interested.
Tori

wwb3occ

Black lake water levels

Post by wwb3occ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:24 am

I am the operator of the Ogdensburg Hydro plant and would like to let you know that we have no control over the levels in the black lake. The water levels there are controled by the eel weir dam. Im sure they could bring it down to normal level fast, but there are regulations in place by the Fed gov that only allows for certain amounts of water above and below the actual dam level. If they let it all out at one time they would lose all there stored water and that is lost income for their company. If I opened all my flood gates and ran full out I would drain the Oswegatchie in about 10 minutes. I am not required to open any of my flood gates until the water level is 5 feet over my dam by the Fed requirements. But because there are camps and houses up stream and they start flooding after the level reaches 2.5 feet high we start opening flood gates to not flood the residence. If anyone would like a tour of the Ogdensburg facility please feel free to stop by M-F before 3 pm and I would love to show you around and how the water levels are regulated.

Thank you,
WB

wwb3occ

Re: Black lake water levels

Post by wwb3occ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:31 am

wwb3occ wrote:I am the operator of the Ogdensburg Hydro plant and would like to let you know that we have no control over the levels in the black lake. The water levels there are controled by the eel weir dam. Im sure they could bring it down to normal level fast, but there are regulations in place by the Fed gov that only allows for certain amounts of water above and below the actual dam level. If they let it all out at one time they would lose all there stored water and that is lost income for their company. If I opened all my flood gates and ran full out I would drain the Oswegatchie in about 10 minutes. I am not required to open any of my flood gates until the water level is 5 feet over my dam by the Fed requirements. But because there are camps and houses up stream and they start flooding after the level reaches 2.5 feet high we start opening flood gates to not flood the residence. If anyone would like a tour of the Ogdensburg facility please feel free to stop by M-F before 3 pm and I would love to show you around and how the water levels are regulated.

Thank you,
WB
How do yo post pictures on this forum?

wwb3occ

Water levels predictions web site

Post by wwb3occ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 am

If you would like to see what the water levels in some rivers in Ny are predicted to do, please go to the following site and click the river you would like to see.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=btv

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Water levels predictions web site

Post by Phil » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:07 am

wwb3occ wrote:If you would like to see what the water levels in some rivers in Ny are predicted to do, please go to the following site and click the river you would like to see.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=btv
Thanks for the link.
To post pics here, you would first have to have a place to store them. A lot of folks use a free service called photobucket.com. You can open a free account there and upload a limited number of images, then just link to them here on this site.
I may just stop by the dam and have a look at your operation. I heard you make special releases of water in the late spring when the walleye are running and the eggs hatching, in order to keep them in water?
Phil

wwb3occ

Post by wwb3occ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:25 am

Wow I did it , dont know how , but I did it .

wwb3occ

Post by wwb3occ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:29 am