Need new dock - suggestion

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ranger617

Need new dock - suggestion

Post by ranger617 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 am

My wife and I just bought a place on Black Lake. The previous owner had a screwed up floating dock system that really got screwed up this past Friday with the high winds and high water levels. I'm contacting dock contractors but most are used to working on St. Lawrence river docks and seem challenged when it comes to building on the lake. You can't miss my property / dock since it includes a JetDock system which is a floating modular plastic thing that you drive your boat up on. Interesting system. Open to suggestions...and looking for help.

Howdy neighbors!

DOUG (aka Ranger617)

fishnorgolfn

Re: Need new dock - suggestion

Post by fishnorgolfn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi Doug,
I've been out of town for a few months and don't know if you've resolved your dock issues yet. Let me know and I'll tell you what I've learned since arriving here four years ago.

LTC

Post by LTC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Just bought a camp ourselfs and have been looking for imformation and regs for dock building on the lake any knowledge on this subject would be great. We are just above the Edwardsville bridge about a half mile
Thanks

craiglemans

Post by craiglemans » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 am

I was looking into purchasing a place this fall (still looking, so if anybody knows of anything let me know) that had a floating dock. As part of checking everything out I asked many many questions to various people including DEC and FEMA about dock regs. To the best of my knowledge, because the dock is a temporary structure, there are no regulations. I have a feeling there has been no need for regs in black lake as most people have stayed with modest sized docks.

Slate97

Post by Slate97 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:38 pm

If you contact Route 37 Building Supply Co. in Redwood, a contractor who I believe named Larry displayed floating docks he built there.
He builds them to your specs, and he delivers them to your launch site. Good Luck

Bassbuster

need new dock.suggestion

Post by Bassbuster » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:39 am

Maybe there should be regulations put on docks on BL like they do on some other lakes or people need to learn to be more responsible when they put their docks in the water. I can't tell u how many pieces of dock usually pt lumber , barrels, styrofoam floats and small pieces of styrofoam from damaged floats floating in the back of bays etc. People build these half fast pieces of junk that don't hold up well and don't always secure them properly or when they get too bad just untie them and let them float away to become someone elses problem. These people are polluting the lake and in some cases creating safety hazards. Probably a lot of this junk is coming from up the river not really sure. Maybe the black lake association can somehow help.

alssobrn2477

Post by alssobrn2477 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:17 am

Last year when the dam opened up...a piece of our dock broke off...looking for someone that sells docks in the Black Lake area? Any suggestions?

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Tue May 03, 2011 1:13 pm

There is a place on the South side of Hammond that makes and sells docks. It is located on RT 37 and corner of the road to Rossie. Further North on the Black Lake road there usually is a dock on display on the left side of the road with a phone number to call for purchase. You should be able to see both of these places with no problem when you travel to the lake. Take your time driving and you will see them. Catch & Release !

johncran

Post by johncran » Wed May 04, 2011 10:33 pm

The ones on the Lake rd. I believe are Hewitt Roll-A-Docks, which are what I have. I bought mine through O.D. Greene in Sackets Harbor. 96' of dock for about 10K. Awesome docks.

erik

Suggestions for what type of dock is best on the Lake?

Post by erik » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:35 am

I just purchased a place on Black lake, the property has a dock. It looks to be 2' wide with metal wagon wheels on it. Doesn't look kid friendly! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, does anyone in the area sell docks?

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:37 pm

As you go North beyond the Log Cabins store and camping area you will see a couple of docks on the left side of the road. Information relative to purchase along with phone number is posted! Good Luck - Catch & Release