An Idea for the forum

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

HawgBone

An Idea for the forum

Post by HawgBone » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:35 am

Hey Everyone, I've been a member here on the forum for a little bit just haven't been posting as much as I would like hope to be changing that here in the near future. However, I am an active member on a few other forums and one forum does something that I absolutely love. There is a member there that every week or so presents a fishing situation for everyone to think about and then the members chime in on what they would do in that situation, it's a great way to me to share fishing information and offering different views for situations that occur quite often while fishing.

For Example:
Let's say you're enjoying a day on glorious Black Lake in beginning-mid July, you're fishing a wacky rigged senko when the wind starts blowing pretty hard towards the bridge and your moving too fast across the water to keep your senko down, making the technique a lot harder to fish. What technique would you turn to in this situation or what changes would you make to your wacky rig, or where would you go in this situation?

This is a situation that I'm sure we have all encountered on the lake, and any newcomers watching this forum will have these days too, so it will be a win-win for everyone.

If this isn't something that seems to really interest anyone than I'll just leave it on the other forum, I just thought it would be a good idea to help get this forum a little more active. This is a really great destination this forum is based around and I feel this forum deserves a little more traffic.

Tight Lines!

-Chris
Hawgbone Lure Co.
www.thehawghole.com

Othahyu:ní

Re: An Idea for the forum

Post by Othahyu:ní » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:15 pm

HawgBone wrote:For Example:
Let's say you're enjoying a day on glorious Black Lake in beginning-mid July, you're fishing a wacky rigged senko when the wind starts blowing pretty hard towards the bridge and your moving too fast across the water to keep your senko down, making the technique a lot harder to fish. What technique would you turn to in this situation or what changes would you make to your wacky rig, or where would you go in this situation?

This is a situation that I'm sure we have all encountered on the lake, and any newcomers watching this forum will have these days too, so it will be a win-win for everyone.
For sure there are many days the wind plays havock with us. On those windy days I use a Drift Sock to slow down my boat. You can purchase them at Bass Pro or your favorite sporting goods store. I have also seen some fishermen on Oneida Lake using homemade Drift Socks. Some of them where using plastic pails with holes drilled in them.

Of course there is going to be weeds and algae in the sock and have to be cleaned out. But on those really windy days it is well worth the time.
Lord Grant that one Day even I.
May catch a Fish on a Make Believe Fly.

HawgBone

Post by HawgBone » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:03 am

Well RockHead,
I can agree that this forum is just as unique as the lake it is centered around. However unique it is though, it just isn't as active as it has been in the past, or as active as I believe it should be. The post that I put up was an idea to help generate some more post, and get more people involved. This forum really is a great place, I just don't think it's getting as much traffic as it should.

Othahyu:ni,
I love the drift sock idea, definitely can be a valuable tool. If you were without one however, how would you change up your tactics, what technique would you use?

Tight Lines!
-Chris
Hawgbone Lure Co.
www.thehawghole.com

Othahyu:ní

Post by Othahyu:ní » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm going to say this and as sure as I'm sitting here I will forget them :lol:

Basically I'm ready for most situations that may arise when I'm on any lake or River, Rain, Wind ect. I make sure before every fishing trip I have what I need for the lake or River I'm fishing. Advanced planning before any fishing trip is a good practice to make sure your ready for what may come up.

Now with that said I may opt in the heavy wind, to drop my anchor about 2 or 3 feet into the water to cause some drag on the boat.
As far as what I'm using most of the time I fish Florida, Texas or Carolina Rigs. And I may just add a bit more weight to keep them down but that's just me.

I fish mostly in heavy cover where there are lots of Lily Pads especially in the Sunny hot weather the Bass love to lay in the shade of the pads. If you see a boat right smack in the middle of the pads you'll know it's me :lol:

I use the Florida Rig in the pads and I fish 10" powerworms the weight I use varies with how high or low the lake is. And colors are based on what they are hitting that day I have 4 rods one with a different color powerworm on each and I fish all 4 rods before moving on the a new spot. It takes me well over an hour or better to completely fish one area of pads. It is a good challenge to hook a nice Bass in heavy cover and get it in the boat take a picture then release him for another day.
Lord Grant that one Day even I.
May catch a Fish on a Make Believe Fly.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:30 pm

If possible, I would move to coves and bays out of the wind and stay with the same senko rig that was producing before the wind picked up. If that doesn't work, I'd move to the rocky islands and fish the side that the wind is blowing at. It may be a royal pain, but spinnerbaits and lipless cranks can really knock em out in this situation. The wind stirs things up attracting baitfish and the sportfish follow.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Cast that senko way out in front of the boat so it has time to sink before the wind puts the boat past your line...works great. I would change it up to spinners and cranks as well, since it seems the fish can get very active on a windy day. Sometimes however, the wind is to strong to enjoy how I want to fish. I won't fish in it for long before finding a bay or heading up the river. I like this idea..keep it going.

smallieguy

Post by smallieguy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:11 pm

turn your boat nose into the wind, turn the trolling motor on low to slow down how fast you are drifting. it's called slipping, we do it quite a bit in the rivers here in PA.