New to Forum

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Malox

New to Forum

Post by Malox » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:09 am

Hello all,
I am new to the area and newer to the forum and would like to say hi to all. I have been retired for going on two years and loving life! I fish Blake Lake whenever I get the chance and just love it. I mainly fish for Bass but enjoy catching anything that swims. The one thing that bothers me about the North Country is the (no catch and release policy ) Its hard for me to wait till end of June to fish for Bass. I release every thing anyway, unless we catch some big Perch or Crappie. I guess they have there reasons. Came from an area around Geneva NY and had a tremendous choice of fishing spots and have fished most of them. But I have to say I like Black Lake better that the Finger Lakes. Not that the fishing is better but the remoteness and scenery are spectacular. Just starting to get into Ice fishing a little and it seems most the fishing is done at the Northern end. Is there a reason for that? I know its deeper on the Southern end does that mean the Ice isn't as safe? Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble and I will try to contribute a little on the forum. Hoping to see you all on the Lake.

Malox

Phil
Site Admin

Re: New to Forum

Post by Phil » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey Malox.
Maybe you just can't "see" what's happening on the south end for ice-fishing. Actually, I believe the opposite of what you have observed to be true. Take a look at Rollaway Bay some time and, if you can get access to Milearm, it's busy up there as well.
Anyway, there are a few areas to be careful of for ice conditions, but those areas exist on both ends of the lake.
This year, the ice is strange. Not much being made.
We fished the north end this AM (Big Bay) and ran from 6" to 4" of ice at out outmost tipup.
Yesterday, we fished up through the narrows and saw the same thing, with 8" in the more remote bays.
Not good for vehicle travel yet. 8)
Enjoy your time on the lake and good luck.
Phil