Black Lake Tips for Southerner?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

fishonnola
Newly Registered User

Black Lake Tips for Southerner?

Post by fishonnola » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Hey ya'll,

I've honed my fishing skills stalking Steelhead in Oregon and Redfish in Louisiana, but haven't done much fishing in the Northeast, other than an occasional trip to Lake Champlain. This summer I'm trying to coordinate another Northeast trip with my Dad and Brother. We asked around and a colleague recommended Black Lake.

Having never fished Black Lake, we want to make sure we'll be set-up for a successful trip this summer: what kind of fishing (species, techniques, success) can we expect on Black Lake in early June? This year the only week that works for us is before Bass season opens, but we mostly do C&R anyway. We want lots of action with the potential for a bigger fish to put up an exciting fight. Usually we target bass and the occasional large pike. Never caught walleye, but would like to catch a few just to taste. Also, would fly-fishing yield any results at all?

I appreciate any and all advice, from anyone who can point us in the right direction.

Thanks,
Alex in NOLA

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Black Lake Tips for Southerner?

Post by Phil » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:51 am

fishonnola wrote:Hey ya'll,

I've honed my fishing skills stalking Steelhead in Oregon and Redfish in Louisiana, but haven't done much fishing in the Northeast, other than an occasional trip to Lake Champlain. This summer I'm trying to coordinate another Northeast trip with my Dad and Brother. We asked around and a colleague recommended Black Lake.

Having never fished Black Lake, we want to make sure we'll be set-up for a successful trip this summer: what kind of fishing (species, techniques, success) can we expect on Black Lake in early June? This year the only week that works for us is before Bass season opens, but we mostly do C&R anyway. We want lots of action with the potential for a bigger fish to put up an exciting fight. Usually we target bass and the occasional large pike. Never caught walleye, but would like to catch a few just to taste. Also, would fly-fishing yield any results at all?

I appreciate any and all advice, from anyone who can point us in the right direction.

Thanks,
Alex in NOLA
Hope you have a great trip. I'm sure others will add information here. The "successful" trip to Black Lake is in enjoying the beauty it has to offer, in my opinion. Fish are a "bonus", there are lots of them. Just so you know, "targeting" bass on Black Lake, out of season, is illegal.
There is no "catch & release season" on Black Lake.
There are lots of N. Pike, and there some trophies to be had. Walleye are tough to find, but there are many.

Good luck to you.
Phil

HappyCamper

Post by HappyCamper » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:05 pm

If you're not up for bass season and you're looking to catch big fish I would suggest targeting pike as was already suggested.
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:12 pm

In June I would recommend drifting the bays and throwing spoons or spinner baits. The northerns and walleye are both around and are fun to catch. I like to use Johnson silver minnow spoons, they have a single hook attached to the spoon and drag through the weeds pretty good. Adding a red pork trailer also helps with this spoon or spinner baits. Best results for drifting is find the wind direction and position the boat either far out and drift in or start real close to shore and let the wind blow you out. You can cover alot of ground this way and see alot of the lake. Look around this site and you will find a Google map to help you plan your days, and when arriving you can buy a very nice map showing you hot spots and depths. Good luck to you and enjoy the lake and its people.
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:09 pm

I fish in early June up at Black every year. I love it! Sometimes the action is fast and furious. Sometimes it stinks. Either way, its fun.

I tell guys to just stick with what you are good at. The lake is so diverse that you can catch fish lots of different ways.

Run and gun style casting over weeds and at cover will work.

Jigging on shoals will work.

Trolling deep weed lines will work.

Drifting live bait will work.

Pick a technique you like and are good at .... look over a map to find places that you think are conducive to your style, and have at it! Trust me, the fish are everywhere in this lake.