Ethanol Free Gas

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Fishpro

Ethanol Free Gas

Post by Fishpro » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Last year ethanol free gas was available for sale at the corner store at Edwardsville. Since the store now is permantly closed there seems no place that the ethanol free gas can be purchased. I have been told that one can use the ethanol gas providing stabilizer is added to the mixture. Is this true and/or will it do any damage to outboard motors?

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Ethanol Free Gas

Post by Phil » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 pm

I've been using a product called Startron in all my marine and small engines for the last two years. Anything that is near water or is likely to sit idle for any length of time. No problems yet.
Phil

racing11111

Post by racing11111 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:40 am

Fishpro, we have been using stabil marine formula in our boat now for two seasons and did 1400 miles on our snomobiles with it this season. Its about 20.00 a big bottle at walmart.Its blue in color not the red stuff. All my friends run it in their boats and in their sleds and never had any problems at all. That would be my recomendation.We did try the star tron and it worked also, but the stabil marine formula was highly recomended by several marine mechanics and we have had great results and comes in a bigger bottle.

boats11

Post by boats11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:43 am

The problem with all these additives is that they all contain alcohol in which we are trying to eliminate with the ethanol in the gas.The only product that i know of that doesnt contain alcohol is the Marine Stabil.It also has 4 times the cleaning agents in it compared to regular Stabil.The only product i use for my 200 Evinrude is the Marine Stabil.A little pricey but hey,we all gonna be paying over 4 bucks a gallon at the pump come spring time :o

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Thank you guys for the information relative to my original post on Ethanol and its use in ourboard motors. Will try your recommendations this coming season. Catch & Release

smallieguy

Post by smallieguy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:55 pm

another vote for the marine sta-bil here. Also you may want to invest in a fuel/water seperator. it's a simple add on to your boat that filters your gas between the tank and your engine. $50 now can save you thousands down the road.

johncran

Post by johncran » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:06 pm

I heard that as of 6/2010 ethanol free gas was no longer to be sold in NYS.

Here is the Startron site

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

Good articles