Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Shane07
Newly Registered User

Post by Shane07 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum however I have fished black lake before. I have been to black lake for the bass season opener 3 yrs. Our crew usually does pretty well for both small and largemouth. This year however we are coming up in may (21-28) looking to get into some decent pike and walley. Any tips as to where to find the walley and what tactics generally work on the lake would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

VPPAPS

Re: New member

Post by VPPAPS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Pike fishing should be excellent that week, with stable weather the Northerns should be easy to find and catch. Look for shallow weedy bays(almost everywhere). especially if they have a feeder creek or marshy shoreline. Pike will be active and hit almost anything, but I like to go big....#18 Rapalas, Mepps Giant Killers, big Spinnerbaits and 2-3oz bucktail jigs tipped with a sucker.
The walleye will be shallow and feeding, too. They are alot harder to pattern though. My best days on walleyes on BL are usually in September when the weeds thin out just a bit and are easier to fish thru. In May I would try night fishing anywhere with some current and rocks, casting original Rapalas or 4-5" plastic jerkbaits.

MrSimon

Re: New member

Post by MrSimon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi Shane. I'll be up there the same time as you ... also looking for Pike. Just like was said, Pike will be in the big weedy bays. One thing to point out, the weed beds in these bays extend out a lot further than you might think. In the northern end of the lake, some of the weed beds reach all the way across to the western side - its crazy. You definitely don't have to hug the shoreline to find Pike. They are everywhere. Don't be afraid to drift around in the middle of the lake casting in all directions. Some big ol bass will be patrolling around out there too.

We've found Pike in both the northern and souther part of the lake .... its really personal preference where you want to fish. Just find a place that looks fishy and drift along throwing just about anything.

Weather is a huge factor. Pike can shut on and off pretty easily.