Trolling Motor

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ragincajun

Re: Trolling Motor

Post by ragincajun » Mon May 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Quick question. Does it sound reasonable that it would take 4 hours to install my newly ordered Minn kota 80 lb thrust, 52" shaft fortrex on my 19 foot fiberglass boat? Just checking. Thought I have been hearing how easy it was.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Tue May 17, 2011 12:04 am

I would think that about half that unless you have to run all new wires the full length of your boat, that can be a royal pain!
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Tue May 17, 2011 6:49 am

ragincajun wrote:Quick question. Does it sound reasonable that it would take 4 hours to install my newly ordered Minn kota 80 lb thrust, 52" shaft fortrex on my 19 foot fiberglass boat? Just checking. Thought I have been hearing how easy it was.
Depends on whether you are just replacing an existing unit or if you have to rewire and do a complete install. Are you using a controller of some type to charge your trolling motor while underway? Installing that can take some time as well.
Anyways - I've never been concerned about how long something takes to accomplish, especially when it's an enjoyable task. :D
Phil

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Tue May 17, 2011 7:24 am

Having it done by a marina is all. Being that the 55 lb thrust 1994 trolling motor is old, they will probably be rewiring etc. But you are right, it is for my favorite pastime so who cares really of the cost.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:26 pm

It is amazing. I love it. First time out was last Sunday with the new Fortrex. It ran great. So much power, I had one foot on the pad and lifted the other to spin the speed dial while leaning against one of those small seats on the bow pedestal....and oooops...almost fell in the water it had soo much power. Went to adjust the height since I bought the 52" shaft and we were heading into shallower water..and oops...doesn't the damn clamp collar fall right into the water. Now why wouldn't that piece of equipment be made so it couldn't completely come off so easy? $12.40 later with $10 more for shipping from canada and we are back in business.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Sounds like my kind of luck right there! Glad to hear that you are happy with it though.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

tmutt

Post by tmutt » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:55 pm

A good use for rubber bands! :D
Tight lines,

Tmutt