Trolling Motor

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ragincajun

Trolling Motor

Post by ragincajun » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 pm

In the market to buy a new trolling motor. Not wanting to do all the research, I was hoping I could get the input of fellow fishermen. I am looking for the kind that bolt to the bow of a bassboat.

wildchild

Re: Trolling Motor

Post by wildchild » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:06 am

I love my Motorguide Tour Series Digital, a bit on the expensive side but it has never let me down. It is a 24 volt setup witha built in transducer for the bow sonar unit. Good luck in your search!
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

funtimesBL

Post by funtimesBL » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:21 pm

Or Ragin', you could buy two paddles....one for me and one for Wildchild. :P

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:08 am

Easy, Funtimes. Old Wild don't row bro! :lol: :lol:

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Lmao. What is the thrust on your motorguide? Do you think 80 is too much or perfect? Whatever I get is staying for years to come. I don't want to get something that doesn't have enough power. I went to a sportsman expo today after work. It was cheesy but Wrights Marina was represented and said they can do the install for me. We talked about motorguide's wireless foot petal. Boy doesn't that sound kinda neat.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:12 pm

A wireless setup would be a cool toy! Mine is 85 pounds of thrust and is about the right power to pull my boat against heavy wind. 80 pounds should serve you well.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:27 pm

I think I have decided on a Minn kota 80 thrust 52" shaft , lift assist Fortex.

I like the lift assist, even for the extra $149 unless someone can tell me it isn't that big of a difference.

Anyone else want to weigh in on the shaft length or thrust for black lake? I do wish the foot petal would be smaller like the ones used on the powerdrive model. Anything I might be missing in determining what I want?

jdweber14
Newly Registered User

Post by jdweber14 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:18 pm

I have the 80lbs fortex with a 45" shaft on a 20 ft skeeter. I have never had issues with running out of juice or not being able to hold the boat. I fish the potomac river and Chesapeake bay along with eastern shore of MD rivers that have a lot of current when the tide is moving. The only think I wish I had was the longer shaft for rough days. Hasn't been an issue yet (only had the boat since August last year)but can see it becoming one on a bad day. If you see a red and white skeeter with a 250 yamaha May 13 through the 17 feel free to say hi. Coming up for our annual crappie fishing trip that we have been doing the past 28 years and staying at Mclears. Just hope we are not a week to early.

Jay

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Jay,

Thank you so much for the response. You have reassured me that I am making a good decision. As for coming up too early...might just be. It is below freezing up here tonight and still feels like winter is hanging on. Not sure if this will change the timing that fish turn on, but hope not for your sake. Good luck. I will let you know how I make out.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:55 am

Just checked out this motor on Basspro, looks good! I like the Motorguide that I have on my Basscat, but I do have a Minn Kota on my pond boat. The Minn Kota has the better prop of the two, while mine is only 55 lbs. of thrust it cuts through the weeds really well. Looks like a good choice to me, the lift assist looks like a nice feature as well. Good luck and tight lines!

hefcat

Post by hefcat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:55 pm

I just upgraded to an 80lb minn kota Maxxum, no lift assist but it pulls up real nice and easy. One thing I'm not sure of is how big your boat is Ragin, I have a tracker 175txw that came stock with a 46lb motorguide, i'm expecting to have no problems holding in high wind or in some current now. Whatever you get make sure you have 2 new batteries to power it, using a new battery with an old one will shorten the life of the new battery.

Flukeman

Post by Flukeman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:14 am

I have the 80# Maxxum with no lift assist, 45" shaft on a 20' Stratos with no problems at all. My buddy has the Fortrex with lift assist on his, but to be honest I do not notice the difference. I am a bigger guy, so maybe that is why. I fish Oneida and Ontario and have had no problems with the 45" shaft. But if you can afford it and the extra length does not pose any space problems for you, why not!
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director Good Ole Boys Jr. BASS Club

VPPAPS

Post by VPPAPS » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:03 am

Hello everyone. No one is really 'right or wrong' on this topic but personal preference rules. I don't think the lift assist is any big deal and not worth the extra money. I have preferred minn kota motors for many years. The composite shaft makes them lighter and they "flex" more if you run into something nasty. If you have an aluminum deep or semi v boat get the extra length 52" shaft it will keep your prop under water in 3-4' waves. Any 24volt system from 65 thru 80lb will work fine, there is not much difference for most boats in my opinion. My 17' LUND is set up with a 24v system with a 65lb Minn Kota 52" on the bow and a 42" on the transom. If you have a heavy fibreglass boat or a 19' aluminum you might want to look into a 36v 101lb motor.

jdweber14
Newly Registered User

Post by jdweber14 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:45 am

The lift assist is nice. My buddy has a 80lbs maxxum and I can definitely tell a difference cause his feels like it weighs a ton. however its not a huge issue for me. As for an 80 compared to a 101 there is a difference but it has not affect my fishing. My dad has a 101 on a 21ft skeeter and it has more power but the only time I think its beneficial is when we are on electric only lake or if you want to move to a spot quick without having to fire up the outboard and idle over.

WalleyeHunter

Post by WalleyeHunter » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:11 pm

I bought a Minn Kota Terrova with I-Pilot pre-installed. This is the best, and I mean the best piece of fishing equipment I've ever bought, even better than my Humminbird 898si. The options on the I-Pilot, like spot lock, and record a track are absolutely amazing. I was very accustomed to using my Motorguide, but never realized how much fiddling with the foot pedal actually affected my fishing progression. I virtually don't have to touch a thing while fishing now.

I was skeptical about going to an electric steer TM also, but so far I've not regretted it one bit. It's quieter than I thought it'd be, and also pretty responsive. Cable driven is still quicker though.

For those of you that haven't heard of or seen the I-Pilot in action. Take a look at the short vids Minn Kota has on their site. The spot lock is by far my favorite feature. Just being able to "anchor" in any depth over any type of structure is amazing for drop shotting, and vertical jigging for those pesky eyes. And the best part, is I don't have to do a thing. The TM does absolutely everything (speed, direction etc). I've only had it out in about a 10 mph wind, and it did keep me in a 5 ft area according to my graph.

With record a track, advanced auto pilot, and cruise control you do have to be aware of your surroundings though. I've come close to hitting buoys and debris :oops:. Mostly because I'm focusing on fishing and BS'ing more now :lol:.