Water Snakes

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

dougw

Water Snakes

Post by dougw » Mon May 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Did anyone else notice the number of swimming snakes(some quite large) on the Southwest end of the Lake?... The damned things wanted to get into our boat....arghhhhh...You'd think that the large Notherns and Bass would be picking up some easy meals...
I've been coming to Black Lake since 1967...

Tori

Re: Water Snakes

Post by Tori » Tue May 17, 2011 8:21 am

I saw some black snakes on the north end and they were big enough to eat the fish.....not fish eating snakes!
Tori

johncran

Post by johncran » Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 am

We're next door to the Log Cabins and last weekend I was walking down to the shoreline and almost stepped on a coiled 3 foot brown and tan. I'm not familiar with snake species so it really scared the livin' bejeebers out of me. I just happened to look down and there he was!! I made a few casts off the dock and here comes another one swimming towards me, gives me the willies just thinkin' about it! :shock:

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Tue May 17, 2011 12:26 pm

The snakes that you are seeing are probably Diamond Back watersnakes.
They usually get up to about 3 feet or so. Now these are not the Diamond Back Rattlesnakes that are out West etc. These are mostly harmless and tend to exit the area when confronted. They will, however, stand their ground if cornered or stepped on. Just give them their space and one should be fine. The reason you are seeing them now early in the season is more than likely due to the unusual high water . These snakes are common to the area. In the 55 yrs that I have been coming to Black Lake I have noticed only 3 kinds of snakes - Diamon Back Water Snakes - common Garter Snakes and what I have been told - Black Atter Snakes which are selden seen. These snakes get up to about 4 feet and if cornered may coil and hiss at you. Whether they are poisoness - I dont know. So there you go - Walk silent and carry a big Stick - :lol: Catch and Release!

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm

I too have seen them coming at the boat. I jumped up and moved to the back of the boat which startled him just enough to change his direction. Phew. lol He headed right towards Conger island from the west bank that he left.

funtimesBL

Post by funtimesBL » Tue May 17, 2011 9:12 pm

Ok, after reading this thread I have noticed 2 things; I need a new pair of shorts and a new place to fish.
Thanks for the scare guys.....jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Tue May 17, 2011 10:15 pm

:D Take a trip up Black Creek at the upper end of Lonesome Bay if you want to find a few black water snakes - 8) Funtimes - take a few pairs of shorts along with you. :D
BTW - I don't like snakes either!
Phil

racing11111

Post by racing11111 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:09 am

last year we were fishing in the bay near the indian river and had a 5 foot long black rat snake come right up to the boat and try to get in the boat. my step father wacked it in the head and thought he killed it, we were in another boat next to them and saw the whole thing happen.He then picked it up with the rod but end of his pole and was gonna show us how long it was and the snake fell into the boat and apperently came back to life, went between his fishing partners legs in the back of the boat and hissed and lunged at him several times. They wacked it again and threw it over board in a hurry he said it had a really bad smell to it. oh and i have pictures to prove it.it was as big around as a beer can and around 5 to 6 feet long. NASTY I THINK HIS PARTNER HAD TO PROBABLY CHANGE HIS SHORTS.WILL NEVER FORGET THAT.

3wisem

Post by 3wisem » Wed May 18, 2011 7:46 am

Here is a link on snake informmation, there should not be any venomous snakes in our area.

http://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/snakes/snakes.htm

dougw

Post by dougw » Wed May 18, 2011 9:49 pm

When I posted this item, I was in no way trying to cast a negative picture of the atmosphere at the lake. The critters should all be back into their homes in the swamp/woods as the water continues to recide...
We had a great time last week... caught some nice fish, had some cold beer, and got a little sunburn.. I'm envious of any of you folks that are going up there this summer....

johncran

Post by johncran » Thu May 19, 2011 9:46 am

funtimesBL wrote:Ok, after reading this thread I have noticed 2 things; I need a new pair of shorts and a new place to fish.
Thanks for the scare guys.....jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz
Just make sure you duct tape those pant legs!! :mrgreen:

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Fri May 20, 2011 7:46 am

I don't think it matters where you fish The snakes will be there it's just nature.
I have only seen maybe 2 snakes all the years we have been going to Black. I wouldn't change my fishing location.

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Thu May 26, 2011 9:43 pm

The northern water snake is pretty common on Black lake and they are a little too bold for me. They are not venomous like a rattlesnake or water moccasin but they do have a very nasty bite that infects easily.They possibly have a light venom in their rear fangs. Best to leave them alone.

Glenp

Post by Glenp » Fri May 27, 2011 7:44 am

They love to sun themselves on our dock. While they usually swim away when we approach. I have had them come up in the dock while I am on it. The are rather bold! They are a part of nature...remember we are in their home.

dougw

Post by dougw » Fri May 27, 2011 11:10 pm

BOLD SNAKES = TURTLE FOOD.... :evil: