Livewell water inlets

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

johncran

Livewell water inlets

Post by johncran » Fri May 20, 2011 8:01 am

I was getting my boat cleaned up yesterday and was checking everything back at the business end. I noticed alot of dead zebra mussels stuck to my motor below the water line and cleaned them off. I also noticed they got into the livewell intakes, those large black caps at the bottom of your transom with the slits in them. Those were filled with shells, so they must have grown up in there cause the slits are extremely small. Those caps unscrew but be careful not to break them getting them off. I used one of those rubber strap wrenches. I checked up inside the tube with a flashlight and they were also up in there. Cleaned them out with a stiff piece of wire. Be careful because there is an impeller up there, on mine anyway. I will be servicing these more often now.

billbo
Site Admin

Re: Livewell water inlets

Post by billbo » Fri May 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Excellent heads up info. Not only to save some possible repair headaches but to help assure not transplanting them in other waters. I'm sure over the winter the transplant issue would be moot but for people leaving Black or other waters that are known to hold zebras during regular season and putting in at any other lake, it can become a real issue. Thanks for bringing this to everyones attention.