How's the fishing been?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Ballz out Bassin

How's the fishing been?

Post by Ballz out Bassin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:29 pm

What's biting and how's the bite? I love the smallies the most, but I also like largemouth, and pike fishing. I'm asking because I'm going to be coming up for a weekend of fishing within the next couple of weeks and was just curious.. Thanks

bigmouth

Re: How's the fishing been?

Post by bigmouth » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Fishing above the bridges in edwardsville has been tough but the pike are becoming more active.

Ballz out Bassin

Post by Ballz out Bassin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:24 am

Thanks for the heads-up Bigmouth. What has been the lure of choice for the pike? I'm going to be fishing there October 1st and 2nd, any advice? Thanks

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:24 am

I was up last week 12 to 16. Caught a number of pike on 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits. Colorado blades, front gold rear silver. Skirt color that seemed to work best for me was blue and chartruse. Buddy fishing with me did well with white and red. I even managed to pull up a walleye with that spinnerbait. Tried yellow for awhile and did nothing with it. Strange thing about is was one day was all bass one day was all pike.

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm a huge spinnerbait fan and catch most fish on them. When conditions require a slower approach senkos and artificial crayfish are working for me too.

Ballz out Bassin

Post by Ballz out Bassin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks for the advise. I have mostly 3/8 oz spinnerbaits, but I guess I can get a few 1/2oz and try my luck. I'm hoping the Smallies are hitting too, especially on top..lol

nanookofnj

Post by nanookofnj » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:25 am

Yellow Magic poppers in herring color have killed the smallies on top for me the last 3 years at Black, Champlain and even the St. Lawrence.

Salted tubes were spectacular as well. 3/16 and 5/16 oz. heads depending on wind. Brown/purple flake and motor oil/purple flake were best.

3" Black senkos w/ 1/8 bulet weight and 5" green pumpkin senkos weightless worked really well.

Wacky Worm in PA for all senkos and tubes. He makes them himself and it's a great deal compared to Yamamoto and long lasting.

If you want numbers and quality smallies, I'd personally go shiners over crabs at Black in October.

Ballz out Bassin

Post by Ballz out Bassin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for all the info on lure choices..I'll be up on the lake Saturday morning..Hope the bite is on!!!