What is going on with Black Lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Jigger
Newly Registered User

What is going on with Black Lake

Post by Jigger » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:15 am

I have fished for 15 years on Blake Lake for Largemouth and over the last 3 years have just been stumped. I do fish the Dash and have done very good threw the years. The Pike fishing is great if you want them. but they keep stealing my tackle. I have noticed the color of the water over the last few years has been pea green and I believe this may be the problem. I do understand that lakes turn and do effect the fishery, but not to that extent. Clear water is just hard to find. The north end beyond the bridge has always been great for me and now it seems almost dead. I know the lake very well, but you couldn't tell by fishing with me now. Oh by the way I just found this site and makes for some enjoyable reading. Well I guess this was as good a place as any to voice my frustrations. The boat is being put away in before bow hunting. Good fishing for all. Jim

GuidedBassTrips

Re: What is going on with Black Lake

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Since I was a kid, Black Lake always had summertime algae blooms. My dad and his dad use to say the lake was "cleaning itself". Others will try to call it a turnover which it is not. Mostly it is due to the extreme fertility of a dark water lake, that averages only 7 ft in depth, and gets very warm for a lake this far to the north. I saw 85 degrees surface temps this summer and a few dead fish, but fortunately not many. The question is whether or not the algae blooms are getting gradually worse each year. The biologists know whats going on. I believe they do water quality samples each year. You may notice more carp, gar and bowfin. Species that do well in poorly oxygenated water. As far as gamefish, largemouth and bluegill dominate the lake and other species seem to be hanging on. The green water limits visibility and the decaying algae takes oxygen from the water. You'll hear complaints about fishing pressure, but I'm more concerned about these biological changes in the lake. It is the natural aging process of a lake. It's still an incredible fishing lake right now, and may continue to be during our time, but it is changing gradually. It depends on what you like to catch as to how you will rate it. There are some who continue to fish in the past and will complain. They seem to wish this lake to be that classic northwoods lake full of walleye and giant pike, which it is not. Enjoy this lake for what it is now. It is still in the top 10% of the warmwater lakes in this country for bass fishing. And with the biggest bluegill population I've ever seen. It is just changing gradually each year.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.