Blue-green algae bloom

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

BC

Blue-green algae bloom

Post by BC » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi folks, I am the Black Lake CSLAP water collector and sampler for the Black Lake Association. I was recently contacted by an environmental engineer of the NYSDEC, Division of Water. A request was made that I am unable to satisfy due to the time of year. If someone is able to satisfy the request from the NYSDEC message below, please contact me at cbrian@rochester.rr.com , or the NYSDEC directly, weekdays, at the number listed below.
Thank you, Brian Caler.

NYSDEC message:
"A small algae bloom was reported in Browns Bay last weekend. It is likely that this bloom is now gone. However, if anyone observes this bloom, which would probably look like a blue-green paint spill, please try to collect a sample of the bloom, using a clean jar or plastic bottle. If you collect a sample, make sure you rinse off the outside of the bottle or jar and any part of your body exposed to the bloom with lots of clean water, and contact the DEC at 518-402-8179. Lake users and pets are otherwise encouraged to avoid direct exposure with any blooms encountered at the lake."

bigmouth

Re: Blue-green algae bloom

Post by bigmouth » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:00 pm

I noticed a small "algae bloom". Didn't realise they were so harmful. :roll:

Chuckles

Re: Blue-green algae bloom

Post by Chuckles » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:50 am

I didn't think so myself, unless it has to do with the time of year it happens. Is that the case with this one?