Anyone building an ice shack?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

bigmouth

Anyone building an ice shack?

Post by bigmouth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:20 am

I am. I have 4 walls up and trying to decide on a roof. I'm thinking flat for ease of building and to stand on. My gf says peaked/sloped might be better. Any suggestions on that and how to control condensation? :twisted:

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Anyone building an ice shack?

Post by Phil » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:30 am

How big is your shanty? Flat will be OK as long as the roof cover is one piece and can not leak. The beast you use will melt the snow off the roof.
What are you using for heat? Propane will lead to more condensation. Control? By heating and ventilating along with insulation.
That's just my experiences. :)
Hope you have good, safe season on the ice.
Phil

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:31 am

Shanty is 6'x8' so there will be a seam on the roof. Might cover the roof with truck bed liner, worked great on an 8 hole dog box I built a few years ago. No insulation yet but will be sealed up tight. I thought that might control condensation. Small propane heater at first. I don't need much... I stood out in the brutal elements of Black Lake ice fishing many, many days last winter and had a blast!

Builderone

Post by Builderone » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:31 pm

I just finished the outside of mine. i put silver fan fold between the studs to hold some heat and just bought some pipe for ventilation. the condinsation is bad with any heat sorce without a outside vent. i need to start the inside now. I will try to get a pic of it.

Builderone

Post by Builderone » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:37 am

Here is a pic of the shack.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:41 am

You will enjoy your time on the ice this year - nice and toasty warm, I'll bet.
Phil

Builderone

Post by Builderone » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:19 am

We (my daughter an I) went out a few nights ago when it was in the 20's and lit the lantern and in 10 minutes it was t-shirt comfortable. :D It will more than likely be in rollaway most of the winter. If you see us out there stop in and say hi. Everyone is always welcome to get warmed up and fish if room permits. I want to get a flag to put out for when I am there. :D

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:46 am

Very Nice! A couple of questions. I take it its built on 4x4 runners? Do you hook cables/rope on the eyelets shown in pics to tow it out onto the ice? How do you get it to lake, winch on a landscape trailer or something? I would love to see some inside pics! Tx

Builderone

Post by Builderone » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Bassbuster wrote:Very Nice! A couple of questions. I take it its built on 4x4 runners? Do you hook cables/rope on the eyelets shown in pics to tow it out onto the ice? How do you get it to lake, winch on a landscape trailer or something? I would love to see some inside pics! Tx
I have it on 2x6's with plastic on the bottom to slide better the hooks up half way are to strap it to my atv trailer it is a tilt bed for easy loading.there are u bolts at the bottom on the other end to hook the hitch to. I need to do work on the inside it is just 2x2 framing with fanfold between the studs(silver faced). I put access holes in the corners for rattle wheels and jig holes in between. a fold down table and bench. when I get the inside done I will try to get some pics. It is fun to use warm and easy to move. I try to keep it on the fish I did good with it last year. It is light also witch is important. I even rented it out twice last year. lol it helped to pay for my fishing. lol

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:54 pm

Tried to post a pic of my new shack but image size was too big. Can I change image size?

billbo
Site Admin

Post by billbo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:04 pm

bigmouth wrote:Tried to post a pic of my new shack but image size was too big. Can I change image size?
If you have any photo software or use a photobucket account, you can change the size with either one. You can even resize with "Paint"

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks! Looks like you have this down to a science. I have been wanting to build one of these for years but now i i think i will hold off and just rent yours!

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:55 pm

My shack is 6'X8'... should I anchor it to the ice? :oops:

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Finally got the resize thing done...hope its not too small.
Attachments
100_3312.jpg
100_3312.jpg (90.88 KiB) Viewed 4785 times

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:16 pm

bigmouth wrote:My shack is 6'X8'... should I anchor it to the ice? :oops:
You going to leave it out on the ice? You bet - tie it down. Just drill a hole at one end of the shack, tie a piece of rope to to a 2X4 2' long, put it under the ice and tie your shack to it. Make it a little long and just slide the shack till it's taught. If you want to move the shack just cut the rope and do it over again.
I've seen lots of shacks blown down the lake over the years.
Phil