Black Lake Patterns?????????????????

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

JackM

Black Lake Patterns?????????????????

Post by JackM » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:47 pm

BL is new to me and I haven't fished much on a lake since I was a kid though I have had some fun on bass at a local pond a few years back before the ponds ecosystem was destroyed by geese . Since my time on the water is limited I try to learn as much as I can so I hope you will be patient with the questions I ask some of which the answers might seem obvious.

I just got a fishing "hot spot" map and am reading about eutrophic lakes. In looking at the map it appears that the south end of the lake may have the most opertunities fishing around drop offs and big holes. Am I missing something about the north end of the lake?

Perch/bullhead interest me because I enjoy eating them and bass/pike because they are fun! Where are the fish, or should I say where in the lake, in mid september? Do the bass/pike take surface lures in Sept?

I am considering an early spring trip for bullhead. Is there a place to tent camp near some good bullhead fishing? When is the bullhead fishing best?

Jack

bigmouth

Re: Black Lake Patterns?????????????????

Post by bigmouth » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 pm

After living on the lake now for 2 years and knowing what its like, if I didn't live here I'd never fish Black Lake. I'm spoiled by too many "100 bass days" on remote Adirondack waters. Lowes Lake, Lake Lila, & The Bog River to name a few in the 5 ponds wilderness area. I have caught a few quality fish here,but fish here know lures by name because of the onslaught of fisherman. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in there since nobody else wants to respond. Good luck!!

Gary

Post by Gary » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi Bigmouth,
Welcome to Black L.
I fish BL Summers and in Sept. whenever I can.
Most often for bass and pike.
Both of these fish will take surface lures in the early morn and evenings. During the day, the bass may be caught on the surface in the weeds.
Almost all of my fishing is in the weeds, over the weeds or in deeper water next to the weeds. Therefore I think weed less or nearly weed less when selecting lures.
My "go to" lures are spinner baits, buzz bates, 5 in. Sinkos, large Johnson silver minnow, large silver rattle trap, and last Summer I did very good with the pike on a 6 in. paddle tail soft bait that looked like a perch, fished with a large weedless jig head to get it down and through the weeds. A steel leader is a must.
We do most of our fishing South of the bridge at Edwardsvill.

There are some pics. at the bottom of this page:
http://www.reelfishingdeals.com/pictures5.html

The cat was caught on the rattle trap, you can just see it in the net and the wally was caught on the silver minnow.

Black L is a great fishery, especially considering all the pressure it gets, and you never know what you might see or catch.

For simplicity, my wife fishes with the Sinko Texas rig with a bullet sinker to get it down and through the weeds. She throws it out , doesn't pay any attention to it, drags it along, moves it know and then, watches the wild life and other boaters and catches all the fish.

Hope this helps & Have a nice Christmas,

Gary

JackM

Post by JackM » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:27 pm

bigmouth wrote:After living on the lake now for 2 years and knowing what its like, if I didn't live here I'd never fish Black Lake. I'm spoiled by too many "100 bass days" on remote Adirondack waters. Lowes Lake, Lake Lila, & The Bog River to name a few in the 5 ponds wilderness area. I have caught a few quality fish here,but fish here know lures by name because of the onslaught of fisherman. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in there since nobody else wants to respond. Good luck!!
Bigmouth,

I have canoed once on Bog R/Low's Lake and on Lila when they were first opened to the public but have never fished there! I have heard that Lila has nice SM Bass. Low's/Bog looked like good perch fishing on the bog. Both appeal to me for fishing but lodging is a bit of a hike unless I pitch a tent which wife isn't going to go for. I have seen the 5 ponds area but never been on the water.

Jack

JackM

Post by JackM » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Gary,

Nice pictures! Thanks for the tips!

Jack

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:12 pm

JackM

Lowes Lake/ Bog River is the most incredible bass fishing I've EVER seen and now that is a "no motorized" has only gotten better. Lke Lila is trophy SM fishing but you have to camp at both spots. On Lowes I've paddled 11 miles up river to get to my favorite spot. Totally unmatched in the entire Adirondacks in my opinion. Huge bass on every piece of shoreline structure you can see. Have had bass hit lures before they even hit the water many,many times!

JackM

Post by JackM » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:58 am

Bigmouth,

Bog/Lows and Lila were non motorized when we were there shortly after they opened for the public. Lack of motors may keep out a lot of meat fishermen and bass boat types that put a lot of pressure on a fishery. At the time we visited I had just built a couple of wee lassie canoes and wife and I canoed on both. Amazingly Mary did a 25 mile day on Low's/bog. Bog/lows looked like the fishier of the two but I have heard and read about lila. A recent article in AL mentions Lila. Both were/are beautiful places.

I may have to take a weekend up there. Are there many tent camping sites? How long doews it take to get to Bog from your place?

Living on BL and going fishing elsewhere is kind of amazing to me! Is fishing really that bad at BL? Although I'd like to try for some bass and pike just for fun, I really prefer perch or walleye for eating. Is there much perch fishing on BL?

Jack

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:25 am

JackM,

You must be a confident boatbuilder/paddler to tackle Lowe Lake in a homemade boat. That place can be brutal when the wind kicks up.

My first trip there in 1996 I had to row across Hitchens Pond...portage over the dam...then travel up the Bog river to get to Lowes. You don't get state land access to camp on for 6-7 miles. Lots of sites to camp and some have outhouses.

At one time I was a member of Robinwood park on Bog Lake which gave me boating access. Then came the Nature Conservancy and took 1100 acres of waterfront property and all camps had to be moved off the lake.

A 5 mile drive on a dirt road with just a few parking spots at the end gets you to Lake Lila.

Ilive about 85 miles from the boat access entry to Hitchens pond where ther is good fishing as well. Most people just paddle through to get to Lowes.

I'm not here to slam Black Lake. Any day on the water here is fun. Ice fishing here is cool and theres lots of perch and crappie to be caught. We catch lots of pike as well through the ice. I was on the ice almost every day last winter.