On average when can I expect to get my dock back in the lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

erik

On average when can I expect to get my dock back in the lake

Post by erik » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:07 pm

This is my first year owning a place on Black Lake. Just trying to get a game plan together, for opening up camp!

bigmouth

Re: On average when can I expect to get my dock back in the

Post by bigmouth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Don't "jump the gun" on this or get it up really high. I got anxious last spring and high water and nasty wind took mine away. I have a video...when I find it I'll post. :oops:

BC

Post by BC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:01 pm

That is a great question! And very difficult to answer because no one can predict rainfall amounts, lake level, or storms, far into the future. The lake level is very sensitve and can change rapidly with the weather. Many cottage owners can give horror stories about their docks taking a beating. On average, most people put their docks in around Memorial Day and take them out around Labor Day. Be prepared to adjust your dock height a few times during the season (Unless you have a floating dock). In seven years, my dock got damaged one time from bad weather, and under water twice. Good installation and height above water is key! Good luck.

BC

angler170

Post by angler170 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Eric, we are new cottage owners, as of 2009, and have struggled with this issue. 2011 water level was several feet above the 2010 level during memorial day. A few things I have learned to count on is that the lake can and will fluctuate about two feet after it settles down to its summer level. We have been at the lake and saw no rain, only to see the lake rise a foot over the course of a day. We are still trying to perfect the dock/boat/water level problems, but we have 2 tie up procedures. When we are at the lake, the boat is tied to the leeward side of the dock for easy access. When we are away the boat is tied to four pipes driven deep into the lake bottem. Our dock lines are tied to a wrap of heavy chain around the pipe so the energy of the waves and boat pulls low on the pipes. We also tie the boat up so it has several feet of vertical travel to account for the water level. To keep the boat from being to active bouncing around on loose dock lines we place a weight on eash line to keep things taught. Don't forget to use quality dock lines that have some stretch to them. Good luck

Tori

Post by Tori » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:55 pm

There are many people who consider Black Lake a river! That is one of the reasons the lake raises and lowers its levels quickly..... you can gain or lose 15 feet of shoreline in a week.
The best bet is to spend the money and get a floating dock....much more expensive but this is the only solution that works. The stationary docks will work if you are on the lake all the time and are willing to move the posts or sections up and down on the posts....too much work for most people and lots of folks are not on the lake full time to monitor the lake levels.
Look at floating docks, but get your wallet out!
Tori

erik

Post by erik » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:30 am

Thank you all for your input.

Glenp

Post by Glenp » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 am

Unless you are going to be at your cabin frequently, get a floating dock. In my 7 years there has been a tremendous amount of fluctuation in water level. Last spring the water was extremely high. With a floating dock I can always figure on putting the dock in anytime after ice out. It usually goes in around May 1 and I take it out around November 15

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:42 pm

I genereraly place my dock in around the Second or Third weekend of May. Usually the lake has lowered to a more normal level for the season. Unlike making the dock a floating dock or a fixed placed dock I combine the two. First I drive pipes into the sand and secure them to the dock. This gives stability and height. The dock itself is built to hold three light floating barrels underneath. Should the level of water increase to a large amount the whole dock will float and your boat will be safe and secure. Always position the dock in a quiet area if possible or at least into the direction of the wind or wave action. Catch & Release!

492VS

Post by 492VS » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Tori wrote: but get your wallet out!
Tori
I'm in the same situation, bought a place last fall. The property did not include a dock that was usable. Most all of my neighbors have some type of rolling out dock and boat hoist. Nobody ties up directly to a dock. The price for a Hewitt 32 foot roller and hoist for 3000# is north of 6K. I haven't looked at floating, but when you say get your wallet out for a floater I guess no dock is cheap. Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations on floaters? I have the paperwork from across the log cabins on the Hewitt brand.

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:13 pm

I like docks on legs that you can adjust the height above the water. Put 'em up real high at the beginning and don't worry all summer. White's in gouverneur has them and they are sweet.

erik

Post by erik » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Tori last summer when we bought the place on the lake we ran into the same situation, as far as a dock in disarray and unsafe. So we bucked up and purchased the roll out type with the winch system to raise and lower the dock without having to get wet. We paid 7600. for 76' of dock, lights, and bumpers. The dock goes in easy and comes out easy. I came up once last year and the water raised so much the dock was an inch underwater, I walked out to the winches and cranked em' up! And didn't get wet! This was the only weekend I didn't have to clean up after the ducks and seagulls. My plan next year is to lower it when we aren't at camp during the week and raise it on Friday's!

Erik