Question for the locals or those with local knowledge

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

dedicated_fisherman

Question for the locals or those with local knowledge

Post by dedicated_fisherman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:45 pm

I've started planning a trip and was wondering if there were any St Lawrence river launches on Chippewa Bay? I was looking on the NYS DEC website, but didn't find any public launches close to Chippewa Bay. Any navigation hazzards I should be concerned with in that area?

Thought it would be nice to break up the week of solid fishing and visit Singer Castle...

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Question for the locals or those with local knowledge

Post by Phil » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Welcome to our forum.

Yes there is a public launch, right in Chippeawa Bay. At the end of Denner Rd. Yes LOTS of nav hazards. Get a chart.
Phil

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:57 am

Yes. The main road in black lake takes you straight to it. If you never turn, you will end up at the boat launch in chippewa. I will say I have fished it in April before and in the summer a little and never once opened up and drove fast. There is A LOT of shallow spots and sand bars at least until you get out into the St. Lawrence. Also, the water levels on the river are never the same. They have been very low in recent years. Get a map for sure. Have fun.

brian_c

Post by brian_c » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Take your time when you're in the River if you're not familiar with it at all. LOT'S of shoals. Depending on water level they may stick out of the water and they may be just under the surface.

Definitely grab a nav map. Do not rely on a Fishing Hot Spots map as they're not meant for navigation. Thousand Island Bait Store does stock the navigation map you'll want. Not sure if any of the bait stores on Black Lake do but it wouldn't surprise me if they did due to the proximity of the River.

I'm sure you already have them in your arsenal but if not a good set of polarized sunglasses will help you pick out obstacles.

Tori

Post by Tori » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Is Chipawa Bay noted for perch fishing? What is it noted for in the fishing world?
Thanks, Tori

dedicated_fisherman

Post by dedicated_fisherman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks for the insight. I found a resource down here that supplies NOAA maps and will surely pick one up. It has been close to 4yrs since I have laid my eyes on the beauty of Black Lake and I've been anxiously awaiting my return visit.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:12 am

Tori wrote: What is it noted for in the fishing world?
Thanks, Tori
Most ruined propellers per foot of travel. Place gives me chills even when using the electric motor.

brian_c

Post by brian_c » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:55 am

I've mainly fished the Southern end (headed towards Kring Point) and it's not that bad. Most of the shoals are marked but there's one towards the entrance of the bay that's just under water and definitely not marked. I know, I've hit it!

Usually able to pull panfish and pike out of the area. If you head back towards Schimerhorns from the South entrance, you should see a bunch of small catfish in the shallows. Or at least that's what I remember of the area - been off the river for about 4 years now.

I fished mainly 2-3" grubs with worms OR Mepps #3-#5 in the bay.

I remember trying to cut through the Northern side to get back into the channel with my Uncle who lived on County Line Bay and he nearly beached his boat on a shoal so even locals get close calls!

nanookofnj

Post by nanookofnj » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:15 pm

We fished SM for a week on the river and stayed on Chippewa last October and it was lower then we expected (1.5 to 3 ft throughout the entire bay) and took some careful navigation to enter when heading to and from the main river. Worst part was worrying about our pisser valves clogging with all the silt/etc that would get churned up from running so slowly in the low water even with the motors trimmed.

The cut suggested for passage was tiny but once you had it on your gps you were good to go and it opened up into good water.

Fishing was pretty good on shoals out and around the castle. Fish were spread out so a lot of movement was necessary for numbers. Chippewa itself was so thick with weeds and low we didn't even bother.

Flukeman

Post by Flukeman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Chippewa is a great largemouth bay as well. But it is loaded with hazzards, so take your time moving around. I have also had days bass fishing that I could not keep the Northerns off my line. Those big fish are in there because there are a lot of panfish for them to eat. You will have a good time fishing there, something is always biting.
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director Good Ole Boys Jr. BASS Club