anybody ever replace the carpeting in their boat?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

bluschen

anybody ever replace the carpeting in their boat?

Post by bluschen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Either this year or next I plan on replacing all the marine Carpeting in my 16 foot side console but I don't know anyone who has ever done it. Can anybody give recommendations/Advice. Id like to hope I can remove each piece separately and use the old carpet as a template and reassemble the piece into the boat.

any practical advice is appreciated

wildchild

Re: anybody ever replace the carpeting in their boat?

Post by wildchild » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:13 am

You will most likely find that the carpet was glued and will come up in small pieces. Cardboard cut tothe shape needed with measurements added to overlap the edge that you are covering will get the job done. Once the old carpet is destroyed you will have nothing to go by. The time spent will be worth it ,hope this helps and good luck.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

brian_c

Post by brian_c » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:50 am

My uncle did this last year in his 18' Sylvan. In addition to the cardboard templates, he needed to remove some riveted trim that held the carpetting down. He was able to track down replacement fasteners at Fastenal.

Every boat is different so you may or may not run into this but its something to be prepared for.

Also, he did all the work outside to allow any of the fumes to evaporate.

**I wasn't there so I have no idea how bad the glue odor is but something else to keep in mind with this project.

Good luck and post before/after pics! Gives us something to look forward to in the next month!!

bluschen

Post by bluschen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks guys for the inputs...Ive been looking on U tube and between what I saw and what you guys are saying it shouldn't be too bad. But it is time consuming and I'll need to do it in the off fishing season. Thanks again!!
Brian

Flukeman

Post by Flukeman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:48 pm

I did mine a year ago. Then this fall I saw some new materials they have now for boat decking. I saw some on the new boats at Bass Pro, not sure what the material is called. But that is what I am going to use next time. Looked like it would hold up forever and felt non slip. Just a thought.
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director Good Ole Boys Jr. BASS Club

Flukeman

Post by Flukeman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:54 pm

I just looked it up and it is called Marideck. It is a vinyl product that will go on wood, metal, and fiberglass. It is pretty sharp looking stuff but it is more expensive. It comes 6' wide and is $15 a linear foot and the glue is twice as much as the carpet glue.
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director Good Ole Boys Jr. BASS Club

johncran

Post by johncran » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:38 pm

I've been wanting to do the same thing and have been looking online and youtube. Not a lot of "how to" info. I want to replace all my carpet with vinyl for easy wash down maintenance. Like you said, it would have to be an off season project, preferably fall.

dougw

Post by dougw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:13 pm

bluschen-
Have you considered getting an estimate from J&R Upholstery on Emma Street in Binghamton?... They've done several projects(no boats,though) for me and considering how long those projects would have taken me(DIY), J&R did an excellent, timely, warranted, and competitively priced job.
I've been coming to Black Lake since 1967...

bluschen

Post by bluschen » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks you guys...you gave me several ideas how to approach this and i'll definitely see how much they charge to do it...although I'm sure it would not be cheap

dougw

Post by dougw » Tue May 08, 2012 11:27 pm

Mr. Bluschen- Have you got an update on your boat carpeting project?
I've been coming to Black Lake since 1967...

bluschen

Post by bluschen » Wed May 09, 2012 7:19 am

I got a price (rather steep) and will probably start this fall before the snow falls doing it myself...then finish it up in the spring. Granted I did not Try J&Rs for a price but perhaps I can get it over there sometime in the next dew weeks and see what they got to say. The boat is carpeted thru out every nook and cranny and I can see why the price to do it would be a little on the high side. One guy even said that even though the boat is in pristine shape except for a couple spots on the edges/corners of the sides that I should just live with it or add some chrome/aluminum corner molding rather than go thru the expense/effort to do it

JR

Post by JR » Wed May 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Brian,

I agree with what everyone said about how to do it, but just wanted to add a couple of things to consider, especially if you are going to go through all of the work to do this.

1. Replace the hardware. Even though you get the screws out, sometimes putting the old ones back in is enough to start stripping them out to make the next time ( god forbid ) a real challenge.
2. If you replace the hardware, spend a few extra bucks (probably more than a few) on the stainless, it's worth it.
3. If you already have everything pulled out and stripped, spray all the wood with a good clear coat before you put the carpet back on. Not very expensive and should help keep the wood a lot longer.
4. Consider vinyl or linoleum for the flooring. My father is considering doing his carpeting and brought up some very good points.
a. Much easier clean up.
b. Fish hooks don't get caught in it.
c. Water proof.
d. They actually make pretty good looking stuff now and it's not that much more expensive.
e. You won't have to pull out the wood next time, just peel (pry) off and glu down again. You don't wrap linoleum around the boards. I would definately spray waterproof the wood before putting it on, though.

The down side is you would have to make sure the hardware holding your board in is counter sunk into the wood so you have a flat surface, and its a little trickier putting in. I would pull the boards, trace the pattern, cut it out, reinstall the boards then glue down the linoleum rather than trying to mark the holes and run the screws through it.

Just some extra things to think about,
Good luck with the job.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Thu May 10, 2012 12:58 am

Just wondering, wouldn't the linoleum be slippery as all get out when wet? Never tried it and not judging but the thought of that on my casting deck makes me feel like I would end up in the water myself.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu May 10, 2012 5:30 am

Maybe he is thinking of, or suggesting, the vinyl stuff like I have in my little Starcraft. It is some sort of textured vinyl material covering. I think it is glued to the deck.
Phil

JR

Post by JR » Thu May 10, 2012 9:06 am

I think you are right Phil, I have it in my old boat and thought it was linoleum, but it has a texture to it, so it's probably vinyl. I don't know that I would do the whole boat in it, but really like the floor and I think I'd like it on the horizontal surfaces. Seems like it would make a better "work area" cover than carpeting, when I'm working on my rigs.

It's just something to think about if you are going to go through all the work of tearing out everything for carpeting.