Fly Fishing

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

bass man of Pa.

Fly Fishing

Post by bass man of Pa. » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Has anyone tried to fish for pike with a fly rod. I have been making some large streamers to give it a try. Just wanted to see if anyone had tried and might have some tips. I'm sure it would be a tough but I'm thinking it would be a great deal of fun! Any advice or comments would be welcome. Thanks

Bob-O

Re: Fly Fishing

Post by Bob-O » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:58 pm

My brother in law uses a fly rod often and does pretty well. Not in May but in July and August he uses a popper type fly. The damn thing looks like a cork with some deer hair sticking out the sides and he nails the pike and bass in the weed pockets. He has a ton of fun and out catches me on the rubber worms and weedless poppers. However his rig gets all sizes as opposed to the fish I catch are generally larger. The old saying goes the bigger the bait the larger the fish. I truely believe this is correct!! :lol:
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

Pike-Buster

Post by Pike-Buster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:57 pm

I was thinking of giving fly fishing for pike a try this year on the lake. Just wondering what do I do for a leader?

bass man of Pa.

Post by bass man of Pa. » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks for the advice guy's. I think I will use a line leader and tie a small steel leader on the end of it. I have no clue if it will work but what the heck I'll have fun just to try. I have to get another fly reel because the two that i have don't have a drag system on it and that could be a problem if i catch anything.