Early Ice-out?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

redvers lewiston

Early Ice-out?

Post by redvers lewiston » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 am

Any predictions when the ice will be out? Seems like it will be real early this year. How do you all think it will affect the opener of pike and walleye?
" I know the human being and fish can co-exist peacefully. " George W Bush

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Early Ice-out?

Post by Phil » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:40 pm

I don't know about "real" early. But maybe a bit. We have near 70 forecast for early next week. Certainly, if the water warms a bit - the walleye will be running.
Actually, if they do spawn early, it can be good thing, for them. They can get all their work done and out of the way of the fishermen. 8)

If there are changes, it will be all the way down the path. The fish will be early, based on water temps and their movements will show that.

Just got to be a bit adaptable.
Phil

johncran

Post by johncran » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:27 am

From the looks of the web cams it probably will be later this week or next. The extended long range forecast patterns doesn't show any cooling down. Which means get ready for bullhead fishing!!

LTC

Post by LTC » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:35 am

Just had fresh bullhead for dinner last night that came from the the waters at mexico point, and enjoyed the early feast.

tom lyter

Post by tom lyter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Are you saying the ice maybe out later this week and if not next week. We are coming up from Pa. next weekend and it would be great to see the water again. we have not been up since last Sept. and all we get to do is look at the web cams. If you do not know we are real anxious to get back as soon as possible.

Tom Lyter

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Well, a good blow and the north end will be completely open. The south end - good possibility for next weekend. We got pretty warm temps coming and nothing in the 10 day forecast that is below freezing.
Phil

jigginmike

Post by jigginmike » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Who'd a thunk it -

Ice out on Black Lake in mid March. I guess it had to happen. We're only a bit over three hours away and we haven't had ice on our ponds for at least a month (a bit of surface ice here and there). This year was one of the worse if not the worse for ice that I can remember. I can only hope that this doesn't push everything so far forward that we're behind every time we get up to the lake. I hope everyone keeps this forum updated as far as whats happening on the lake. Hopefully we will be able to get up there next month to get camp opened up and catch some crappies.

angler170

Post by angler170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:34 pm

For those of you that have been around the lake for a long time, why does the north end thaw from the north and south and stay frozen near the bait shop. That bait store owner is either smart or lucky, maybe both. I was building a floating dock this weekend and keep hearing the eerie sound of ice rubbing. I hope to see the lake before it completly thaws.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:04 am

I would say that current, wind, and water depth play a big part in ice-out; besides temperature. Always seem to get more (thicker) ice in the south end and in the area just north of the causeway (BigBay area). So those spots generally hold on to the ice longer?
I've seen years where the ice was broken up by wind and others where it just melted away.
Predicting ice-out is a lot like predicting weather - almost impossible.
Phil

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:56 pm

With the way things look and the weather forecast for highs being near 70 through next Thursday, I'd say the ice will be gone early in the week.
I'm headed to Rossie on Sunday to have look for the walleyes, thinking they will be there. 8)
Phil

Believer

Post by Believer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Why does the north end de-ice first? This is common. The warmest wind that hits a lake is usually a south to north wind. It will effect the north end more because touches more surface there, having nothing but water, and no hills or trees behind. A north to south wind is coolest, and will touch the most surface on the south side of the lake. Once the ice is off the lake, the water on the north end will warm up soonest, especially if the shallowest part of the lake is on the north end.

sekotsjds

Post by sekotsjds » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Any update on ice? Will BL be clear of all ice by next week or is it already?

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Have a look at the WEB Cams. It's pretty much ice free right now. All I can see is a bit of frozen water in the backend of the bays, where the sun don't reach much. It'll be gone. We got some temps in the mid to upper 70s for the next three days.
Now to get someone to put the dock in at the launch. 8)
Phil

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:41 pm

Any boats driving around yet? I backed mine into the local river to start the motor. Sounds weird to most, but I got pretty excited for the season after listening to it.

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 am

I've seen a couple boats on the north end. Lots of debris floating around Sunday, not as bad Monday.