Fishing in mid May

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Ballz out Bassin

Fishing in mid May

Post by Ballz out Bassin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 am

I have plans to come up to Black Lake in June, but I'm also thinking of planning a trip in mid May. I was wondering if I could hear some opinions on fishing the lake at this time of year. I think if the weather continues to stay warmer than it's suppose to be that this would be a factor. Thanks

Believer

Re: Fishing in mid May

Post by Believer » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:45 pm

You will find more pressure there than you think.

nitro205

Post by nitro205 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:09 pm

May fishing is usually good. Just remember, you can't target bass.

StrikeKing

Post by StrikeKing » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:23 am

The pike are ferocious this time of year. I'm there in May for the past 8 years. Black spinner bait, gold willow blade or double blade, but make sure you have about 8 of them lol. Walleye are hit or miss.
Pay attention to what they said above and don't target bass out of season, it's not something the locals take lightly. People have had their boats taken. The pike will keep you busy though. If you want I can give you a few places where I've gotten them that time of year.
Good luck!
SK

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:44 pm

May is the beginning of the fishing season for many folks. Not only are perch, bluegills, crappies, panfish biting but Pike season begins. Recommend use of blade spinners, minnow like lures and spoons for Northerns and Walleyes. One should refrain from using surface lures that are mostly good for bass fishing. This is due to the fact that Bass season doesn't begin until the third Saturday in June. There is no catch and release season for bass on Black Lake. Conservation officers often watch fisherman who are working the bays where both pike and bass are present. Enjoy your trip - Catch & Release!

492VS

Post by 492VS » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:01 pm

StrikeKing wrote:Pay attention to what they said above and don't target bass out of season, it's not something the locals take lightly. People have had their boats taken.
I laugh at the profiling I've been subjected to in the past in other NY State lakes.
In the spring take out the 20 foot ranger before Bass season and get stopped all the time. In the 16 ft aluminum rig watch the DEC go right by.
In the summer (Bass season) I have never been stopped in the Ranger but get pulled over in the aluminum boat frequently.
The DEC has never subjected me to an inquiry at Black Lake although I have seen them out there on occasion in Bass season. I have never been on this lake prior to the season but this will change since I recently purchased a property on the lake.

Ballz out Bassin

Post by Ballz out Bassin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks for the feedback. I will not target bass, however it's kinda tuff when bass and pike usually hit the same type of lures. I've caught a lot of pike on topwater too. Oh well, lol. BTW I always catch and release!! Thanks again for the info.