docks

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

LTC

docks

Post by LTC » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Hey big mouth any docks in the water at are end, This is Carl met you this winter on the ice, looking at the web cams may take a chance and come up and put the dock in the water along with the lift this weekend.

bigmouth

Re: docks

Post by bigmouth » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:06 pm

No docks out that I know of right now. Water is dropping right now, about 7-8 inches in the last week or so. Spring time brings a lot of changes in weather and water levels. Get it up real high if you put it out. We're not even considering getting our stuff out yet.

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:40 am

I put 3 of 4 sections of dock out yesterday afternoon. Well over 2 months earlier than last year. 1 more section and a boat lift to go, and I'll have 2 boats on the water. Only thought of Black snakes once! 8)

LTC

Post by LTC » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:01 am

Yup put the dock and lift in on Saturday the wheel kit for the lift made life much easier, no snakes in sight unlike last year when water was high. might bring the boat out next week. If anyone has some dock for sale may be intersted.

tr21

Post by tr21 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:48 am

Bigmouth What is with the snakes?

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:41 am

I live on a rocky shoreline that the Black/Water snakes are attracted to for the warmth they provide on a sunny day. Don't see them often but am always on the lookout...they startle me and can be a little defensive. I've seen some on the water too. No big deal though...simple Garter snakes have the same effect on me. It's a phobia of mine and really nothing to worry about.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 am

I will never forget the one day I was fishing the south side of conger island when I saw a big snake swimming towards the boat...lol....I had to make a noise to change its direction. Not that I think it would have ever got on board, but my simple little fear of snakes is big enough that I wanted it to head a different direction. This being said, I wonder if the bass like eating them? I know my friends son really wanted one of those snake lures last year....not sure if he has had any luck with it.

racing11111

Post by racing11111 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:54 am

two years ago we had a big black snake come right up to our boat it was 4.5 feet long as big around as a pepsi can and very agressive so we tried to kill it with the oars! my step father was the one that thought he killed it until it came back alive and fell into their boat and tried several times to bite them ! yah no kidding i was in the boat next to them and just about pissed my self laughing my rearend off. got pictures to prove it .

Builderone

Post by Builderone » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:32 pm

There are tons of snakes there. Get rid of them all just don't post pics of dead ones the warden will be at the door. But would love to see pics of them ones you find sleeping on the end of a shovel or stick. :big-grin:

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Wtf is a matter with you people, leave the snakes alone. There are no poisonous snakes in ny except the extremely rare rattlesnake which are not in this area.
The big black snakes you are seeing are not agressive/poisonous and wont try to get in your boat. They are just trying to get away from you and around your boat If it weren't for snakes we would be overrun with rodents which spread disease! I suggest you read up on these snakes and and hopefully you will learn to respect them and move on the next time you see one in the future. Besides they are protected so it's against the law to kill them.

fisherman2582

Post by fisherman2582 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:58 am

Here we go. Some people just dont like snakes.. personally they dont bother me anyways there is nothing that says u can get in trouble for it. And secondly i was present during this episode of the snake in the boat and in fact shows bassbuster knows nothing about snakes as this snake was very aggressive when i say very i mean very i live in western New York and we have rattlesnakes here and let me tell u they are not rare. I also grew up in Pa and we had them in the Black Forest.. Good ol rattlesnake roundup every year they had a tournament to see who could catch the most. On a small level i agree with bass buster but also somewhat disagree and unfortunately not everyone feels the same way as u and i do.. Please in future do not harm these snake they arent poisonous and will usually leave if not provoked enough said good fishing too all as im goin too PA for trout season only second time in ten years im gonna fish opener of trout.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 am

I have been in the north country for most of my adult life and have encountered hundreds of these snakes. I have been within a foot or two of them on land and never had one strike or come after me and never had one "fall" in my boat either. I have also hadI them swim right by me and up to me while swimming, great northern water snake and never became aggressive at all So don't tell me I know nothing about the snakes up here.

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:40 am

Black snakes can and will easily enter any low profile boat on the water (Bass boat, V-bottom, Kayak, Canoe) and in that environment where the boater wants it out ASAP by any means possible that snake will become agressive/defensive. It's not real common and I give them a wide berth but if one enters my boat he will become a hatband in short order :!:

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:42 pm

now, now be nice boys... :O