Umbrella Rigs/alabama rigs

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

bluschen

Umbrella Rigs/alabama rigs

Post by bluschen » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Has anybody ever tried these for Crappie or perch. I have been reading about these rigs and did a cursory check of the regulations and it looks like they are OK to use in NY. They are used for Bass down south mostly but since I usually fish for Crappie and Perch I was thinking of trying it as a locating tool for suspended crappie and or Perch. Fully rigged I would think they would be too heavy to use for smaller fish.

Brian :?:

Flukeman

Re: Umbrella Rigs/alabama rigs

Post by Flukeman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:45 am

These rigs have been around forever and mostly used for salt water fishing. no reason they would not work for perch and crappie when you get in a school. They are working for bass when the bass are schooling. The rest of the time they are no better than any other lure, just a tool.

What you really need to know is that for bass this lure is a back, elbow, wrist, and shoulder buster. The guys who fish for a living for bass are having a hard time throwing them for any amount of time. These are guys who are very well conditioned to casting a 1000 times a day. A weekend angler will quickly find out it's not worth the money, pain, or Dr. bills.

The other problem is cost unless you make your own. Just the rig cost $14.99 to $26.00 a piece. You then need to have 5 baits/jig heads/spoons to put on the rig. Not to mention the bass guys are using braid, 7'6" or bigger Heavy rods, and top of the line bait casters. Then that big ol' Black lake pike bites the whole thing off :lol: .

Bait $20 - $30
Line $20
set up - $150

Pike biting off the bait............priceless :lol:

The rig is definitely not made for Mitchel 300 reels and limp pan fish rods, even in a pan fish size it'll wear you and gear out. But if none of this matters to you, I think it would work for schooling fish of any type. I have all the gear and will give it a try a few times this year for bass, probably for short periods of time :lol: I already have elbow problems each year from throwing deep diving cranks, can't imagine what this will do to my arm!
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director Good Ole Boys Jr. BASS Club

TeamEighmey

Post by TeamEighmey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:26 am

My Brothetr just actualy purchased a few of those, a couple larger ones for bass and a couple smaller ones for crappie, we figured if thier in the shallows around structure then the umbrella set up would not work for obvious reasons but hes thinkin in their deep and we have to jig for em that thats were that umbrella setup will be most effective, hes lookin gto land a triple crappie at one time, lol I'll let you know if we have any success with them we will be up there in 21 days to check it out

bluschen

Post by bluschen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:04 pm

We will be up the week of the 13th a;so ....staying at the southern end of the lake