DEC, LAWS, COMMON SENSE

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ragincajun

DEC, LAWS, COMMON SENSE

Post by ragincajun » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:32 pm

First let me say I follow all the laws I can. I have a registered trailer, the boat is registered and insured, I have life jackets etc in the boat, I have a lifetime fishing license and won't let anyone go with me that doesn't have a license. I practice catch and release and follow all specific lakes rules that are posted or written in the books.

Today I go fishing with a friend in a canoe. We decided to be out there fishing on the first day of Trout season, ....to try our luck and enjoy nature. We went to lake ozoneage (sp) , then a couple of trout rivers, and then to an old boyscout camp that used to be stocked with trout way back in the day for the boyscouts. This pond is small and the entire thing can be seen from land where we parked. It is 36 degrees and raining but we went anyway. Not being a huge trout fishermen, didn't catch a thing. We, however, were out there and having a good time reminiscing the past. The pond is a mile or two back in the woods on a dirt road and four other boats were also out there. When we got back to land, the DEC was waiting. We had licenses', we had life jackets in the canoe, we were following all the laws we knew....but ..BUT....we were being stalked. The DEC decided that since water is usually still iced over this time of year, that they would ticket everyone not following the law that states life jackets must be worn UNTIL May first. We had them in the canoe and were trying to do the right thing. I realize a law is a law but a POND with no current or motors allowed......????? Really do i deserve a ticket? Shouldn't there have been some common courtesy applied? If you don't agree, it's ok. I am wondering what the common opinion is ...out there. At first I didn't mind...he is doing his job...after hours of thinking about it...I am mad.

tr21

Re: DEC, LAWS, COMMON SENSE

Post by tr21 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:42 am

I agree to a point, but the LAW is the LAW.

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 am

It should be a common sense safety issue. Unless you can stand up if you fall in you should wear one. Hypothermia doesn't take long in cold water.

Tori

Post by Tori » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:06 am

They gave you a ticket because every state agency needs the money! Plane and simple...it is the money they are after. Bait receipts on demand?? How about the state police "lady" who sits in Edwardsville and hands out tickets to people? Is that a speed trap or are there serious accidents there on a regular basis?? They need the money!
Less government would be great. Next we will have to wear the life jacket ALL the time and watch how many tickets are given out. Less government is what we need and want, but it ain't going to happen!
Tori

DougC

Post by DougC » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:25 am

I forgot about the law until your story. It must be the weather. You were wrong. But a CO would get a lot more respect from you and others you tell about a warning they gave you rather than the story you just told. Its all about the $$$. Not just thier share , but the town's share. Has anyone seen them call in to check a persons record? The trooper do it and I have been given a break in Edwardsville. I had not got a ticket in 40 yrs and admitted my mistake. That made a difference. I now have a greater respect for that trooper and the traffic laws that apply in town. Why don't CO's do that? I have folks drive 150 mi to see us on a weekend and I jump up scared to death if a person who has never fished picks up a pole and dangles it off the dock. Helava way to feel about it.

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:48 pm

I know your pain, I live in the NYC Watershed area. Have a boat on one of the reservoirs or did, last year they took my boat off the reservoir due to the sticker was missing it was obvious the sticker had been torn off part of the sticker was still there.
I received a letter stating they had pulled my boat. it would cost me $125. to get my boat back and I would be charged a daily storage fee. I had to get a friend with a truck to pick up the boat. it ended up costing me $185. because I could get the reservoir office when they were open. All they had to do was check the record in the computer and seen the sticker was good until the fall I had 3 months left on the sticker. If they had called me and I would have taken care of it. needless to say i refuse to go any where near any of the watersheds reservoirs.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:50 am

Same down here man, no warning just fines. You have a better chance with the police than the fish cops. No wonder why fishing license sales are down.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:02 am

Thanks for all the replies. I agree the law is the law and I should have known. No big deal, I get it. Just needed to vent after I thought about it more.

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:50 am

Funny how venting make us feel better. :D I have noticed the dec was out heavily on Sunday. They were too lazy to walk down where my grandsons and I
were fishing. caught 2 nice trout for pictures and released. Good luck to everyone this summer. Can't wait to get to Black.

fishinmagician

Post by fishinmagician » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:43 pm

If you had everything in order,paper work,license, regis,this Officer could have made more of an impact on you by giving you a warning or just an explanition as to the cold water and hypothemia issue. If thats the only thing that was not in compliance, this guy is what other cops call a SMACKER. These guys will write their own mother if it means making the numbers. If they get caught doing something wrong such as a Moving Violation they want professional courtesy. Its not fair by any means but it is a reality.
Lets look on the brighter side of things, the fishing season is here and we know about BL.
In closing.....words of wisdom from the fishinmagician...
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience" That is all....
The second amendment is in place, in case THEY decide to ignore all the others.

mbanko17

Post by mbanko17 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:49 am

HA HA I feel your pain. these guys think they are all that. boat jockeys , I am totally legal. I got stoped twice now Wanna be cops. same jerk pulled me over twice within 2 days? and his partner wanted to jump in my boat. IDIOTS.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:39 pm

See. My point exactly. They are all over those whom follow the laws. Money money money. I don't mind, actually I like that they are stopping those whom abuse...but when they find that person whom seems like they are trying...reward instead of ticket for incidentals.

mbanko17

Post by mbanko17 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Yep when will they deal with the bucket bragade.? I even got stoped fishing from shore at nockamixon. I am like are you serious. Do you see them other people fishing over there...nope. I must stand out

biggerbass

Post by biggerbass » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:51 am

I have been fishing for over 45 years, mostly in New York, but I have purchased at least 15 different out of state licenses. Without exception I have always found the conservation officers to be courteous and doing their job the best way they can. Maybe its my age (or charming good looks) but when i treat them with respect they treat me the same way. if I ever meet a rude one, I would report him to his superior. In 20+ trips to Black Lake I have never been stopped. other places seem to have more police coverage, ie: Lake George, Hudson River, Greenwood Lake, etc, but they have always been professional. we desparately need them to keep the bad guys in line, so I don't mind the minor inconveniences. To be honest, it is because of the potential of being stopped that I always make sure that I have the proper safetey equipment on board & in good working order. My hat is off to the NYS DEC officers!

Builderone

Post by Builderone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:55 pm

Thats like getting a 2 mph over speed limit ticket.The LAW IS THE LAW . The ones that are good at there jobs don't hand those kind of tickets out they give a warning to gain peoples resect and confidence.