McLear's Bullhead Contest?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Tori

McLear's Bullhead Contest?

Post by Tori » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:08 am

The weather does not look great for the annual bullhead contest at McLear's this year.
Who out there can tell us about your "tournament"? I have seen your signs on the cottage walls and it looks like you guys have a great time.
Curious Tori

Flukeman

Re: McLear's Bullhead Contest?

Post by Flukeman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:35 pm

You are right Tori, we have a great time up there. Mel and his wife are awesome to us and set us up quite well. This will be our 26th year for an event that started out as a few teams going to Dexter Marsh and grown to our max size of 20 teams filling all the cabins at McClears. It is a group of guys who have grown up together and now some of their kids have filled some empty spots with teams over the years.

Yep, we drink a lot, play cards and cook a ton of food. It's the one time of the year for the guys to get together and catch up and let loose a little. Then we go out and catch as many bullhead as we can for 5 hours each night. A few of the guys clean some for home, but most of us count them and turn them loose.

I see the weather is going to be a little rough. A couple of teams are already talking about fishing from shore in front of the cabins. But the rest of us will be on the water. My team actually won one year when it was snowing on us out on the water.

Now for the important stuff, anyone got some good spots!
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director Good Ole Boys Jr. BASS Club

TeamEighmey

Post by TeamEighmey » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 am

We also stay at McClears , since the 70's every year and I never have heard of this tourny? We go up the 3rd week in May, is it maybe earleir or later than then? I would deffinitly like a little bit of info , if we are up there during we deffinilty would like to participate.

Tori

Post by Tori » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:29 pm

The bullhead contest takes place during the last weekend of April to the best of my knowledge. This is a closed group of guys and I think someone has to die before they let someone else in! The contest was this weekend and I hope one the members will comment to the "tournament"!
Tori

Tori

Post by Tori » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Anyone know how the fellows made out with the McLear Bullhead Contest?
Tori

Flukeman

Post by Flukeman » Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 pm

A good time was had by all. The weather was a little brutal each night and really shut the fish down. I think the total catch was 900 and change, way down from normal.

It was good to see everybody. The mood was very mild compared to most years, but we are all getting older and it was cold! The DEC came out Saturday night and checked on us, very nice guys. Hats off to McClears for having us set up, and making us some great breakfasts.
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director Good Ole Boys Jr. BASS Club

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 am

i have caught everything in numbers except bullhead (which i want desperately) and walleye (think i got that figured out) - where are ou getting the bullhead?

TeamEighmey

Post by TeamEighmey » Mon May 07, 2012 12:27 pm

if its raiing we do really good on the bullhead in the St Lawrence from shore

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Sun May 13, 2012 4:16 pm

maybe on on the wrong thread but, can anyone tell me where i can maybe catch bullhead on BLACK LAKE.

please and thank you

TeamEighmey

Post by TeamEighmey » Sun May 13, 2012 6:56 pm

we usualy fish for them in the st lawrence ....but you can catch em in any of the bays or from shore along the semi shallow waters, usualy rainin helps