To use a leader or not.................

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

JR

To use a leader or not.................

Post by JR » Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm

On one of the other posts, Jack brought up a good point on using leaders when fishing for Pike. I never do when casting lures. I know I'm supposed to, but I have lost so very few fish due to their teeth cutting the line. It can't be more than a fish every few years. I've lost countless lures to snags, my bail snapping shut on hard casts, trying like an idiot to lift a pike into the boat by the line like they do in bass tournaments on tv, a bad knot tied to my swivel, etc, but very rarely to pike teeth. Now I hate losing a fish as much as the next guy and definately don't want to take any unnecessary risks that might kill the fish because it can't eat with a lure stuck in it's mouth, but it seems like such a small risk to me.

I have used them in the past, but I seem to catch less fish when I use them. I don't know if they can see it, it affects the action of the lure, or what, but it's enough of a drop off for me to pull it off and throw it back in the junk pile I call my tackle box. Now keep in mind, I might change mine in a heartbeat the first time a 30 + incher cuts my line, but I'm still waiting for that to happen.

I'm curious how many people out there use them vs. not and whether I am just lucky or if others noticed and do the same thing. Let us know.

Being that my fishing skills have not approached the level where companies are sending me free stuff, I don't have a rod tied up with each lure I'm going to use. I use a swivel for quick lure changes all the time. I was wondering how many people out there use them too, or direct tie their lure to the line.

Just curious.

tr21

Re: To use a leader or not.................

Post by tr21 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Jr You can go either way. My son caught a 18 pound pike with a zoom fluke a few years ago. It is your guess on do I or not.

mbanko17

Post by mbanko17 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:24 pm

I use the short wire leaders because they don't get kinked up as bad, plus when I'm throwing my suspending HJ's they dont sink as fast. Spinnerbaits and spoons run great . I dont know if I would of landed the 45" musky I caught, without one, but I am glad I had one on!
As for fish seeing them, I dont think pike care about that at all. They are just one awnrey fish. As for bass, we caught alot of nice ones with a leader. biggest 4.5 lbs. My pop had a nice fish on, rod bent, drag pulling, and then BOING, nothing. Yo pop what happened? I didnt have a wire leader on. The choice is yours.
2 weeks and counting !

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Thu May 10, 2012 12:48 am

I never use them, but I target bass mainly. Pike do hit my spinnerbaits almost as much as the bass do. Usually my line breakages are do to my own mistakes, largely not checking for line wear often enough. I direct tie most of my lures but have a couple of rods with swivels for playing with other options.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

finkle

Post by finkle » Thu May 10, 2012 6:32 pm

I have used berkley spider wire the last 5 years with no leader and never had a problem

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri May 25, 2012 10:53 am

I've caught hundreds of pike in black lake using braided line, a small snap swivel, and no leader. I've never once lost a fish due to it cutting the line with its teeth.

My brother always uses a leader and seems to do fine.

I'm not sure it makes a difference one way or the other .... but if I were using lower test mono, I'd use a leader.