Sturgeon Question?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Yanacocha

Sturgeon Question?

Post by Yanacocha » Fri May 18, 2012 6:03 pm

If someone would bag a Black Lake Sturgeon, what are the regs for size and limit? (How many 6 ft Sturgeons can you put in a bass boat?) Can you squeeze them for caviar then release? Squeeze & Release! Ha Ha. About 5 years ago my brother-in-law said, that up by the school bus, a Sturgeon jumped out of the water and splashed him. Seeing how we've been fishing Black Lake since 1954 and never saw one, no one believed him. I guess we were all wrong.

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Sturgeon Question?

Post by Phil » Fri May 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Kidding- right? No sturgeon can be kept. Must be immediately released. 8)
Phil

Yanacocha

Post by Yanacocha » Fri May 18, 2012 7:27 pm

I thought the humor was implied!

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Sat May 19, 2012 12:15 am

Darn, I was gettin' ready to put in a bigger livewell!
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

Roger Over

Post by Roger Over » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:01 pm

I have been coming to the lake for the past five years with mixed success in the bass/walleye department. I am there to catch fish no matter what they are. Well , two years ago I was lucky enough to hook a nine pound channel cat which turned out to be the fish of the trip. It gets better though because last year while freelining shiners for bass at our favorite night spot, I hooked a monster that took a good half hour or so to get to the boat. We weiged up a 28 pound carp that was over 30 inches long. Eight pound test on a seven foot straight up medium action rod. Fish ran hard three times and probably came close to spooling me twice-hard to tell when its almost pitch black and you can only play the fish by feeling what your rig is doing with no visual cues at all. That was a blast and I am gonna try and talk the crew into fishing for these things on purpose at least one night on our trip up this year. Maybe even hook into one of those typhoon class submarines known as sturgeon. I know I won't stand a chance but thats the fun of fishing. Gotta hook into something once in a while that puts me in my place and gives me another one of those "the one that got away" stories.
Most of the fish I catch on BL go back in. My total take over the last five years is 1 each of bass,pike and walleye as well as that cat from 2 years ago. Assorted panfish have been kept but everything else went back including that carp.