Docks On Black Lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Tommer06

Docks On Black Lake

Post by Tommer06 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Can anyone tell me where the rules and regulations are for installing docks on black are at. Are tehy town codes and do you need a permit fronm the town or the DEC. do they need to be removed in the fall. Any help would be appreciated

Dan

492VS

Re: Docks On Black Lake

Post by 492VS » Thu May 24, 2012 11:03 pm

No rules or permits that I know of. Just installed a 64 footer myself. You will want to remove it in the fall unless you like buying a new one every year as the ice flow when melting will tear it apart. Most people around me have some type of rolling dock with 24 inch wheels and a boat hoist also with wheels. Depending on your waterfront depth will determine your length of dock. They drag them in/out with 4 wheelers.

Tommer06

Post by Tommer06 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Sounds very Good thank you for the info, I did get a chance to talk to the DEC the other day and they just did a map check to insure I was not within 100 feet of a Wetland area, so oall ig good to go. I have been wondering why most black lakers remove them in the fall more so than folks on the St Lawrence. I plan to remove mine in the fall

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Tue May 29, 2012 5:50 am

Tommer06 wrote:Sounds very Good thank you for the info, I did get a chance to talk to the DEC the other day and they just did a map check to insure I was not within 100 feet of a Wetland area, so oall ig good to go. I have been wondering why most black lakers remove them in the fall more so than folks on the St Lawrence. I plan to remove mine in the fall
It is very likely that the ice will take your dock "out" if you do not do it. The fact that Black Lake water levels rise and fall throughout the ice season will wreak havoc on a dock of most any kind.
Just to note - St. Lawrence RIver dock systems do suffer damage as well but are, in general, of a different construction. Most of them are based on rock-filled piers. Folks that have floating systems take them out.
Phil

492VS

Post by 492VS » Tue May 29, 2012 9:22 am

I just saw a section of wooden dock stuffed way up into the woods in a bay with the rubber tube floats still attached to the dock. What is up with all abandoned boats, motorless littering the shorelines around the lake?