Tube Colors For Smallies

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

HawgBone

Tube Colors For Smallies

Post by HawgBone » Tue May 29, 2012 12:38 am

I want to start this post off by saying that I realize bass is closed right now, so noone has really had a chance to prove their favorite colors this year. I was just wondering if anyone has had a color that has worked consistently for them with smallies at Black Lake.

I'm coming up in the end of July and even though I want to focus a lot of my efforts on Pike, which I understand just isn't a peak period for them, I do want to spend some time targeting smallies. I'm staying at Fisherman's Landing and know of a shoal not too far from the camp there that should hold some smallies. I know there is also an island above the cabins a little it that is told to hold some as well (not sure of the name, but of the top of my head I think its BloodDough?).
Hawgbone Lure Co.
www.thehawghole.com

492VS

Re: Tube Colors For Smallies

Post by 492VS » Tue May 29, 2012 9:06 am

watermelon with red flakes followed by watermelon with black flakes. Same colors if you want to fish a senko worm. Honestly I would not come up to the lake without a rebel pop-r lure of some sort. For heart stopping action those are deadly on small and largemouth bass in the morning and especially in the evening if the lake is semi smooth and you are in an area that is not to weed cluttered on the surface otherwise throw a zoom horney toad texas rigged in the colors mentioned above and skim it across the weed tops.

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Tue May 29, 2012 9:43 am

My first choice for a tube is green pumpkin. It imitates both crayfish and perch and also the gobies when I'm on the St. Lawrence. Watermelon would be second. Go with a light weight and experiment between hopping it and dragging it.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Tue May 29, 2012 1:27 pm

I agree, watermelon is very good. I like it with red and black flecks.

Sometimes I also like to mix it up with non-natural colors like all white, pink, or shiny silver. When I use the crazy stuff, I move it quickly .... for some reason it can trigger some ferocious strikes.

HawgBone

Post by HawgBone » Tue May 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I've been having a lot of luck in some local lakes with a new color I just started pouring. It's a Green Pumpkin w/ Purple and Black Flakes in it.

I've also always had luck with Watermelon w/Black Flake and Watermelon w/Red Flake is not too far behind. I have always found that it is just hard to beat anything with Green Pumpkin in it.

I'm trying a new tactic this year, I'm going with some lower # braid and a lighter rod. It SHOULD add some distance onto my casts, and give me a little more sensitivity and feel with my bait.

I'm planning on taking up some Watermelon, Green Pumpkin, Black, and a newer Plum color that I started making. I guess it will just be a trial and error. Again thanks for all the suggestions!
Hawgbone Lure Co.
www.thehawghole.com

TeamEighmey

Post by TeamEighmey » Thu May 31, 2012 7:49 am

We were fishing for crappie with bobbers an tube jigs tipped with minnows, but the bass were killing the the glow jigs , we were not targeting them but I bet we caught a good 30 of em thruout the week , mostley all small mouths a couple nice big large mouths too but majority nice small mouths

HawgBone

Post by HawgBone » Thu May 31, 2012 3:30 pm

I have caught my share of quality smallmouth at Black Lake, I've just never really focused on them with tubes like I'm planning to this year. I've just recently started pouring my own tubes and am starting to really have success around some local lakes, I'm trying to find the colors to take that success to Black Lake. I'm starting to get a clue what throw to make that happen.
Hawgbone Lure Co.
www.thehawghole.com

WalleyeHunter

Post by WalleyeHunter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:29 am

I actually bring all my equipment to pour plastics up to the lake. I try a bunch of different color schemes till I find one that seems to work better. Then I plop my butt down on the picnic table with my molds and a cooler of beer, and start pouring.