Mold Making

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ragincajun

Mold Making

Post by ragincajun » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Frustrated. Saw a Youtube video on how to make a two part senko mold. I succeeded on every part except getting the two molds apart. Without being able to do this, it is useless. HELP. I have wasted lots of money already on Fiberglass resin after two attempts. What was meant for fun has cost me more than just buying senkos if I can't make the next time work. Anyone out there have the solution?

jigginmike

Re: Mold Making

Post by jigginmike » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Do you mean after pouring the second batch of fiberglass? Did you either use a silicone parting spray or an oil over the top of the first half prior to pouring the next half of the mold so the two don't stick together? He does mention that in the video. Did you also use the bolts as he did and "tighten" them to help push the two halves apart?

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:38 pm

I brushed vegetable oil on the first mold before pouring the second. I did put four screws into the first mold. Not sure i did that part right...meaning I only used four and I wasn't sure the purpose. What about this silicone stuff?

jigginmike

Post by jigginmike » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:45 pm

There is a parting spray release agent that is used when making making molds just for the purpose of being able to separate the halves without sticking together. Not sure if you can find it in a craft store or hobby shop. Might have to do some on-line research if you can't. It does look like he is just using vegetable oil,so maybe you are just not doing something quite right. As far as the screws, it looks like the first time around you can "push" the two halves apart by tightening the screw. After that it appears you drill the hole deeper in the first half of the mold so that you can use the screws to keep the two parts aligned and snug together when pouring. One other thing is that the oil needs to be on all sides of the first half not just the top so the resin doesn't adhere along the sides. He poured it in then poured out the excess.

Another thought - if you brushed enough oil on the top but not the sides, you might be able to trim all four sides just enough to remove the overburden and be able to get them apart.

WalleyeHunter

Post by WalleyeHunter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 am

I pour my own baits, I've got molds for swim bait's, senko's, zoom trick worm's, top water frogs etc. I've made both 1 piece and 2 piece molds. The 2 piece molds I've found are too much of a hassle. I now only make 1 piece molds and buy the 2 piece machined aluminum molds. They can be quite expensive, but being they're machined, they're 100% perfect! And in the long run you'll get your money back 10 fold.

Here's one of the senko style molds that I bought and absolutely love!
Once you get the steady hands to pour them, they're better (in my opinion) than the real senko's.

http://www.del-mart.com/molds/product.p ... 253&page=2

pa angler

Post by pa angler » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:14 pm

I will say that I am by no means an expert. But I have made my own molds. Mostly make senkos but a couple others. I have used the resin and also plaster molds. I used vaseline in between the two and never had them stick. I have only made three different 2 piece molds but they turned out pretty good.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks for the link. I have been drooling over the one on Lurecrafts website. It was $74 and is now $58. Money is tight and I wanted to have an outlet over the winter to enjoy nights after long work days with no fishing. Two years ago we did lots of ice fishing, but not so much last year. I probably will get one though.... now that I hear how much you like it. I have bought tons of plastic, glitter, scent, coloring, etc to be creative and original while making them. I will try the vaseline. I so want to be able to do it so that I can have one for my new favorite 4.5" fat baby craw. Small fish eat the legs off in no time and then they aren't as productive. If I could make them myself, I wouldn't feel like I was wasting soo much on them.

Frogs...my other favorite. However, with a xmas gift card, I just bought a $10.49 single live target frog from bass pro. It looks awesome.

To buy all those molds, ....pricey. Question though, even though two part molds are a hassle...don't you think they make better lures? Or are the single molds with a flat side as productive?

WalleyeHunter

Post by WalleyeHunter » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:36 am

If you're looking for a "true" Senko replica, the 2 piece are definitely better. I've also laid one piece of the mold down, and poured a Senko half. It dances beautifully in the water!

Also, in reading your response Ragin, I see you mentioned using Vaseline. I've never used any type of mold release with the machined aluminum molds.

I will tell ya though, pour slowwww, and over fill the cavity to compensate for shrinking while they cool. Also ya need to let them cool in the mold for a minute or so before you take'em out, and put'em in a bowl of water to cool the rest of the way.