need some help

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

pa angler

need some help

Post by pa angler » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:35 pm

We have never been to BL. Planning on a trip for 2013 last week of june or 2nd or 3rd week in july. I'm a bass guy and the other guys are pike fishermen. Are we looking at a good time of year? And what are the conditions like at this time? Heavy weeds? Also I have a 17'6" flat bottom bass boat. am I going to get bounced all over with rough water? Sorry for the dumb questions but we don't know the conditions of the lake only that the fishing is awesome.
Thanks in advance.

brian_c

Re: need some help

Post by brian_c » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:50 am

Normally my family is up about a week after you're planning your trip - 1st full week in August. This year we'll be up there from 4th to 11th.

Usually, the weeds by this point are fairly heavy on the north end of the lake AND also in shallower bays. Last year, on an ultralight I believe, my cousin pulled out a 30"+ pike. We were fairly good at pulling out both bass and pike with any number of other species keeping the rest of the family entertained.

I usually plan on 1-2 days where the weather simply won't cooperate and I don't want to be on the water - either waves, rain, or both. At that point I usually take a jaunt into Alexandria Bay and do some tourist shopping. Also a good time to take a ride on Uncle Sam's boat tours if you haven't been in the area before.

As for boat size, you'll be OK. I have an '05 Four Winns 19'6" boat and the 1-2 days I mention I do not go out. Too darn rough out...usually 2-3' waves. It can whip up so if you use your best judgement you should be fine.

I'd suggest picking up a Hot Spots map at any of the local stores as it should help you whittle down the lake into sections. Most of the navigation hazards are fairly well marked. I've yet to hit anything and I'm known for it in the St. Lawrence River so if I can avoid it, you should be fine 8)

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:14 pm

PA Angler, I think you probably picked a great time for bass and panfish but it might be slower for pike. The bass should be through their post spawn period and starting to feed regularly in their summer patterns. I fish out of a 16'Lund and the waves on the main lake can get 2-3' easily but its never deterred me from fishing as there are so many islands and points that provide quiet areas. Smallmouth should be hitting small crankbaits, tubes and live crayfish or shiners around the shoals. With live bait try using circle hooks for easier release. Some largemouth there ,too. A hot spots map will help locate these, but don't be afraid to search new spots that others aren't fishing. My best smallmouth on BL last year was just under 21" came out of 17' perch fishing with small jigs so you never know. You will find some pike cruising around weedbeds but you may do better fishing deeper points near the weedbeds with large shiners/suckers. Bigger pike like cooler water and can be tough to get numbers this time of year.

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:16 pm

My suggestion would be...try Cranberry Lake. An abundance of 12-20 lb pike, good sm & lm bass, no weeds. I'm here cuz my gf owns a camp here.

pa angler

Post by pa angler » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:50 pm

A couple years back I was reading through some info/books on all the ny lakes. And at that time Crannberry Lake sounded pretty promising. Are there anycabin rentals on that lake?

bigmouth

Post by bigmouth » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm

It's a very small town with some rental units available. HUGE Pike up there!!! A couple bars, restaurant, small diner, state run campsite, public boat launch. Did I say HUGE Pike up there?

pa angler

Post by pa angler » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:23 am

I have been in contact with a few different cabin rentals on Black Lake. Would it be safe to say that the fishing is a little better south of the bridge? With how the wind gets I don't want to have to cross the lake every day to get down to Lonesome Bay for example.

TeamEighmey

Post by TeamEighmey » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:11 pm

We stay at McLears ben doing so since the earley 70's , that end of the lake does offer alot of diffrent Bays and areas that are great for fishing on those days that it is windy.....you still have to go across that main drag of lake whoich when windy can get you a little wet to say the least lol but once you get across, there numerous areas bays, coves, islands , points to fish that offer shelter from the wind.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:43 pm

As a local, I have had some rough adventures on the south side in front of the state launch. I agree that there are lots of bays to hide in IF you are going to stay out for a while. When I know that I will be leaving before it calms down, I sometimes worry about it getting worse and head for the launch. If only the launch was on the north side where we could run for shelter from the rough winds.