Hard Water

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Hard Water

Post by Phil » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Ajstan82 wrote:I'm new to ice fishing on the lake though been going up there my hole life we had a cabin on the by booth island .. the cabin was sold :( but my question is I heard the lake had a strong current over there , is this true?....if not would that be a good place to ice fish ?
In general, the ice around booth island is not safe because of current in that area.
Phil

Brian Weisman

Post by Brian Weisman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Hey all, I am planning on going up to Black Lake on Monday and Tuesday from down here at Fort Drum. I have been up there in the summer before and the fishing is awesome, but I have yet to make it during the winter... If anyone knows what the Ice depth is right now, and where some decent spots are for pike and crappie I would greatly appreciate it.. Just looking to catch some fish for the fryer LOL. Thanks in advance for anything you can give me :mrgreen:

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Brian Weisman wrote:Hey all, I am planning on going up to Black Lake on Monday and Tuesday from down here at Fort Drum. I have been up there in the summer before and the fishing is awesome, but I have yet to make it during the winter... If anyone knows what the Ice depth is right now, and where some decent spots are for pike and crappie I would greatly appreciate it.. Just looking to catch some fish for the fryer LOL. Thanks in advance for anything you can give me :mrgreen:
Hi Brian and welcome to our forum. There is, generally 12 + " of ice on the lake. There are only a few spots for public access. Rollaway Bay is one - Black Lake Marine and Chapman's will both give access to the lake at their bait shops. Hope you do well.
Phil

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:56 am

Crazy weather - what a "swing" in temps. Low 50s today to low teens tomorrow night. All the snow we got Monday is, or will be, gone; along with anything that happened to be there since the last warm-up. I hope this is the last thaw we get till the end of March! :O
Phil

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Looks like a lot of snow coming to the area Friday. Especially up there. Could be more then 1 ft.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:06 pm

ShaneO19 wrote:Looks like a lot of snow coming to the area Friday. Especially up there. Could be more then 1 ft.
We have lots of good ice and I have the machine to get on the lake, with the snow. Let it come :big-grin:
Phil

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Phil wrote:
markz5 wrote:I know there's a bait shop past the bridge I just can't remember the name but I know it's past black lake marine
The only two bait shops that I know of, on the lake, are Black Lake Marine and Chapman's.

Excuse me. There is another over on 58, just outside of Pope Mills heading towards Gouverneur. Just before the turn at Rollaway Bay.
Phil

tr21

Post by tr21 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Hope the snow does not make the water come up on the ice. We may get 9-14 in the albany-schenectady area. Will make a mess here. Good luck and be safe.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:42 am

Got a few days off this week and got in some fishing with a new friend and mentor.
Phil

tr21

Post by tr21 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:57 am

Nice catch. That eye will eat real good. That pike had given you one good fight.

Tori

Post by Tori » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Phil,
Love the pictures! How did that walleye taste?!
How big was your biggest crappie? Perch minnows as bait?
Tori

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 pm

:big-grin: The Pike was delicious, as were the crappie - the walleye went back to the lake, it was caught by me - shown by my mentor because he could figure out how to run my phone/camera. :O Biggest crappie was just over 12" The pike was 31-32 and the walleye went 19.5". All from Black Lake.
No bait (artificial, dead or live) was used on any of the fish! That's my "new" game and part of my mentor's teaching. Lots of confidence building. 8)
Phil

Tori

Post by Tori » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Dr. Phil,
What do you mean..."did not use any bait" Just jig off bottom with a Swedish Pimple or the like??
Tori

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Tori wrote:Dr. Phil,
What do you mean..."did not use any bait" Just jig off bottom with a Swedish Pimple or the like??
Tori
Just a lure (whatever type you want) no bait on the hook(s). I do use electronics to "see" the fish. :big-grin:
Phil

Tori

Post by Tori » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Dr. Phil,
I would imagine that you would be the "mentor"!
Is this fellow an old timer or a young buck with all the new electronic gadgets?
Tori