couple questions

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

cw14

couple questions

Post by cw14 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 am

Is there any bow fishing at black lake? also is anyone else seeing the crazy numbers of gar? they may take over the lake one day

Fishpro

Re: couple questions

Post by Fishpro » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:02 am

Gar Pike have been in Black Lake forever it seems. Mid - to Late summer we seem to see more of them. I believe it has something to do with the higher temperatures. As for bow-hunting them not many people that I know bowhunt them. However, I'm sure it is legal as they are considered a trash fish. I believe having a small game or fishing license is all thats required. Check current regulations for guidance. Catch & Release (Game Fish) !

cw14

Post by cw14 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:43 pm

I did look up the regs and all I could find was info on bow fishing for carp.

cw14

Post by cw14 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:46 pm

We have a few Favorite spots for bass and last time we were there in June the gar would show up and the bass bite would turn right off, the gar were huge and everywhere around us, swimming right on top of the water, was cool to see, but ruined the fishing. We have caught a couple of em, but they're nasty to handle :(

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:44 pm

The remark relative to the fishing going down hill as soon as Gar Pike arrive is definitely true. I have seen it happen on several occasions. You can almost see Bass and other fish head for deeper water. Not having the regulation book available I recommend giving a call to your local Conservatrion Officer or the DEC for advice in using archery for Gar. Catch & Release !

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:24 pm

From the NY DEC Regulations Guide:
Bowfishing
Any person who has a fishing or small game hunting license, or is entitled
to fish without a license, may take carp of any size and in any number
by longbow (recurve or compound) from May 15 through September
30 from any water of the state where fishing and the discharge of a bow
is permitted. Taking fish by bow is otherwise prohibited.

Pretty plain to me.
Phil

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:32 am

I used to be concerned about the gar in the lake myself but my experience guiding in Florida has changed my concerns. Just like Black Lake, the Florida lakes have alot of gar. They inhabit shallow, warm and weedy lakes that are also good largemouth lakes. They have been in Black Lake a long time. Yes they may be a sign of an aging lake but the bass do seem to coexist with them well. I have my customers in Florida fish strictly with wild shiners most of the time and the gar can be a nuisance, especially when it is warm. Usually you will catch the active bass first and then the gar take over and you have to move.

What's most concerning is that a gar's beak is designed to eat small fry which you would think would be devastating to a bass lake. But a Florida biologist once told me you need the gar eating some of the fry to keep the bass and bluegill from overpopulating. Like they are part of nature's balance.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

cw14

Post by cw14 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:33 am

good info.. thanks.. also we got a little off topic with the gar, i was asking if there is any bowfishing allowed in black lake, not specifically for gar. then i found the regs where it talks about carp. is there carp in black lake? anyone know why its only allowed for carp? just wondering

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:58 am

Black lake, like most lakes, does have Carp. Though I hate to see them - they are there. Last season we were on the back side of Jennys Island and they were all over the place. First I thought they were Bluehead Catfish jumping around but was let down when we were able to see them up close. Phil mentioned that the Regulations only pertain to Carp only. Seems things always change for the worst when as time goes by. Personnaly I can't see anything wrong with bow hunting Bullhead , Catfish, frogs and Gar PIke. Oh Well- Catch and release!