what is considered to be a big Blue Gil on the lake?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

erik

what is considered to be a big Blue Gil on the lake?

Post by erik » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 pm

I caught a 9.5" gil on Friday. That's the biggest i've caught in the 3 years I owned the camp. What's a big Crappie on the lake?

Phil
Site Admin

Re: what is considered to be a big Blue Gil on the lake?

Post by Phil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:34 pm

That's a nice gil! Crappie? I've seen some approaching 16" Not many but enough that I know they are there. Last year, through the ice, I had several at about 14". I think the Bluegil population is growing in size, judging from the last three years of catching through the ice.
Phil

Slate97

Post by Slate97 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:13 am

From what I have seen this year, which is no different then in the past, people taking bucket(s)and bucket(s) of pan fish. They fish, fill thier buckets, leave go to different spots, then return. This goes on everyday through August and September. Wonder why the fishing has declined. Its my understanding that people sell the fish, and this practice has been going on forever. Is this the reason why there is a limit on the number of pan fish you can keep in one day on Black Lake? ECON Police have arrested a few people for exceeding the limit of pan fish caught in a day. Hopefully more will be arrested.

erik

Post by erik » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:26 am

I fish down at the bridge a lot and witness people taking everything they can get their hands on, then leave without policing up their trash. That's a whole other discussion! I released that 9.5 Blue Gil! I figured he'd be better off released back at my dock to be make and defend babies!

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:31 am

My hats off to you for releasing that large sized Bluegill. If more people practiced catch & release Black Lake would be better served. As for people taking all they can catch - that is an on going problem that has persisted it seems for ever. A lot of people up in that area fish for pan fish only to resell them to suplement their income. Should the DEC pay closer attention they could really make a difference in prosecuting violaters. Problem there, though, is a lack of funding and too few Law Enforcement personnel. Catch & Release