what's your biggest fish caught on the lake?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Phil
Site Admin

Re: what's your biggest fish caught on the lake?

Post by Phil » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:04 pm

mopsny - you got a few pretty big numbers in there - some nice fish, for sure.
Phil

mopsny

Post by mopsny » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 am

the cat , bowfin and eel were caught back in the 70s , we used to have a group of about 30 people that stayed a week in august ,and we stayed at the knotty pine resort , it was a few years after that we found out there were state records for all fish in new York , I caught the 28 lb catfish in big bay at about 5 or 6 o'clock in the evening and another member of our group caught a 28 lb catfish the same nite after dark off the dock at the blue haven camp site . and I won the money because my cat was 29 1/2 " and his was 29 " , I remember it like it was yesterday , as far as pics , because they were not game fish we didn't make that big a deal of it then , we took a lot of fish down to the log cabin and the pictures were in the albums down there . I have been hoping to catch fish that big ever since . 5 or 6 years ago we were in cow bay and a friend of mine ( 3 in of us in the boat ) brought a n. pike or musky up to the boat that was at least 4 ft , it spit the hook and swam away . that's why I keep coming back ....

erik

Post by erik » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:07 am

mopsny thats awesome man. i bet if people stopped killing the bowfin we'd have that state record!

can't wait to start fishing this spring. I'm almost out of crappie and gil filets!

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:48 am

One of my goals this year is to catch the state record Bowfin. I saw a picture in a pamphlet for Black Lake two years ago that someone caught the catch and release world record of 18lbs here. Ive been advocating not killing these fish but for a state record I will make an exception.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:40 pm

I was fishing a rocky point with a minnow bait last year and hooked up a fish. Fought fairly well and I felt the tail wagging unlike a bass. My first thought nice Walleye. After a minute or so I get it to where I see tan color on the fish and it is fairly long. Oh yea baby big walleye, once closer to boat uh oh big bowfin. Measured out at 24inches. Every year I catch a few using a jig. Bites like a bass, but from then on they are a totally different fight.

mopsny

Post by mopsny » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:50 pm

I posted before but it didn't make it on here , back in the 70s and 80s we caught a lot of big cat and dogs , but we had minnows that were 8" and bigger , big bait catches big fish , I believe that most of the state records can be beat in black lake ...

kevgreen20

Post by kevgreen20 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 am

I'm throwing the bullshit flag on that 17.5 inch crappie

fisherman2582

Post by fisherman2582 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 am

I measured a crappie once a guy caught on Black Lake. He was using pike bait fishing for pike and caught a 17.5 inch crappie thing was huge my biggest ever is 15.5 and ive caught alot just a little smaller. So i have seen one that large come out of the lake just had to throw that out there i also weighed it it was like 2lbs 13 ozs or so. this was about five years ago.

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:46 am

kevgreen20 wrote:I'm throwing the bullshit flag on that 17.5 inch crappie
Well, I'm in my eighties and I can still read a tape measure. I couldn't believe it when we caught it. Measured it three times. :O It was released back into the lake possibly to produce more bigger fish :wink:

tr21

Post by tr21 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:52 am

In the mid 60,s 17.5 was good but we got some that were bigger. That was on a regular bases.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Don't doubt the 17.5" crappie at all. I've seen several 16+" crappies in recent years. They are in the lake. 8)
Phil

erik

Post by erik » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:40 pm

I believe their in there. A friend of mine caught a couple of 17's at crooked creek Tuesday. We've also caught them in the Chaumont river. Can't wait to get one out of Black lake.

mopsny

Post by mopsny » Mon May 05, 2014 5:43 pm

I caught a 23" 6 lb LMB on Saturday May 3 , and that is the biggest bass I've caught on black lake , I was using live minnows with a bobber .

mbanko17

Post by mbanko17 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:45 am

45" muskie! 3 years back.

Bizzy

Post by Bizzy » Sun May 11, 2014 8:41 pm

I'll be the first to admit that my love of fishing far exceeds my skill. But mu biggest fish out of the lake was a channel cat. Nose to tail it was 38" long, and seemed like I had hooked a whale. What a thrill when I saw the first flash of its tail. There are bigger fish in the lake, but that one is still near and dear to my heart.