First time at Black Lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Kramer
Newly Registered User

First time at Black Lake

Post by Kramer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Anything I need to know to make my experience a great one? Thanks in advance!

cw14

Re: First time at Black Lake

Post by cw14 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Yes. Prepare yourself for the greatest friggin place on earth!!!!!! And bring bug spray

SOdell

Post by SOdell » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:59 am

I 2nd the bug spray, and even when the fish are not biting Black lake is amazing. My family has had a camp on the lake my whole life and im 25 and its my favorite place in the world.

cw14

Post by cw14 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:03 am

My fav place too. Been coming for about 5 yrs

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:15 am

Hi Kramer, knowing the lake is the best place on earth won't really help you out much when you get there (it is the best place on earth!). I would suggest you pick up a hot spot map, order one on line or you can pick one up at the log cabin. I would have to inform you that the lake is huge and if you have never been there in a boat it is easy to get lost. I have on many occasions ran into people looking for their camp when they were far from it. There are many islands that can make you think its a shore line to find out you are not where you think!. Storms can come up quick and the main channel can bump up to three footers and the waves are not always in rhythm. Spring can bring the most heavy conditions and summer can bring the storms. Also there are a lot of hazards, a lot of submerged rocks. They do mark them quite well however there are plenty that are not and you don't want to find them the hard way. As far as finding the fish, it's not much different then you local lake and fishing around will help you explore it's many great bays and shoals. I don't want to leave you thinking the lake is flat as glass the fish are jumping in your boat but be prepared on the water and bring one PFD per person. Hope this helps you on your first visit, and you will be addicted to the lake!! Good luck and be safe.
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:21 am

Black lake is the place to really enjoy life at a much slower pace. Beautiful scenery - Awesome Fishing - Down to earth local people - Great Place to Unwind. Recommend checking local regulations for size of fish as they differ slightly from state wide rules. As for bug sprays - bring plenty during May and June. Catch & Release!

mopsny

Post by mopsny » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:43 pm

I agree with all the above posts , been going to black for 45 years great fishing , great people , any of the bait shops will tell you where the fish are biting , and I would advise you to learn the lake before you go too far away from your camp , it can get very rough , very quick , good luck and good fishing ...

ponypower02

Post by ponypower02 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm

No other place i would rather be camp has been in family since 1957 as the other post said be careful on lake watch your markers but also some areas have shallow points that are not marked bring your bug spray and enjoy :)