Boat choices, new guy on the lake.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

spence

Boat choices, new guy on the lake.

Post by spence » Sun May 04, 2014 7:41 pm

I've been following this forum for about a year plus. We just purchased a camp mid lake. I've fished it 3 times so far but look forward to experiencing almost all the species fishing and maybe duck hunting. I was hoping to get some opinions on the ideal boat for the lake? I love to target pike, cats, perch and crappies. Got a feeling I'll be bassin a bunch now too!

MrSimon

Re: Boat choices, new guy on the lake.

Post by MrSimon » Mon May 05, 2014 1:05 pm

It all comes down to personal preference.

On Black Lake you'll see everything from pontoons to bow riders to bass boats to 12' aluminum row boats.

My preference is for a nice 16' aluminum V-hull with an open layout. A side console with a windshield is really nice here - the wind blows a lot and my tiller boat makes for a wet ride in even medium sized waves.

Whatever you do, don't overspend. Buy used. The last thing you need to catch fish here is an expensive boat.

Tori

Post by Tori » Mon May 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Black Lake is over 20 miles long. Do you want to fish the entire length of the lake? Is your cottage in the north end? If so and you want to go all the way to the south end and up Indian River than you need a good size motor to get there. It could take you an hour with a 15 horse to get there.

cw14

Post by cw14 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:47 pm

Pontoon boat would do it all. We been wanting one

spence

Post by spence » Mon May 05, 2014 9:24 pm

I have a Lund 14 ft tiller with 40 hp Johnson. It gets bogged down with 3 guys and gear. I want a steering wheel, a windshield, plenty of motor and an available top to get out of the rain occasionally, then get back to fishin! 17 to 19 ft. aluminum. Does anyone run something along those lines? Is 19 too big? Obviously we are dealing with opinions, but I would appreciate any input. Thanks, Spence

erik

Post by erik » Mon May 05, 2014 9:44 pm

I've got a g3 18' with a 200 HP Yamaha on it, talon anchor, and 101 lb thrust minn kota and I fish for everything and am very comfortable doing so! I can cover the whole lake and also get into shallow areas. I chose this boat cause I have young kids and wanted something for all of us to enjoy. But if i didn't have this boat I'd go with a pontoon. What ever you choose make sure you have a windshield of some sort especially you plan on fishing early spring and late fall!

brian_c

Post by brian_c » Wed May 07, 2014 12:18 pm

My uncle and cousin both have 18' Sylvan boats. Both are aluminum with open bows, trolling motors out front and 75HP on the back. They get around pretty good and can fish most of the lake.

I've got more of a pleasure boat - 20' Four Winns I/O and there are some spots I simply won't go as it gets too shallow. But, if a storm whips up, I can get anywhere quicker than the above two boats...270HP V8 will get me moving :)

That being said, Black Lake can whip up pretty decently and there are times I won't go out even on my boat. Usually happens for a day during our trips in August.

I'd suggest you look around and try out a few boats on the lake to see what works for you and your family. What works for my family may or may not work for you. Good luck with your search!!

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Thu May 08, 2014 2:00 pm

A good overall boat would be one in the 16' size with a 40 - 50 Hp motor. Make sure it is a deep V style though as wind and storms come up fast on Black lake. Being able to couteract the waves is vital. Safety should be the prime consideration when purchasing a boat for this lake. Catch & Release!!!

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Fri May 09, 2014 5:42 pm

I agree with fishpro. I use a 16ft tracker with 40hp and trolling motor and can fish from top to bottom with no trouble. I would suggest a gas tank of 10 gallons and you will have no problem going where ever you want with three guys. And deep V takes the weather nicely.
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

rpoormafish1
Newly Registered User

Post by rpoormafish1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:24 am

:D My stepfather has a 16 foot starcraft V bottom with a 75hp Merc on it. We cover the entire lake end to end fishing including those shallow spots we want to pitch to. When the waves kick up and the other boats are heading for the docks, we are comfortably floating around getting the line stretched now and again with no concern for safety. The V bottom takes the waves beautifully. Then we can take the afternoon now and again and pull the kids around on the tube with no issue. Lots of flexibility.
Catch and Release!!!!!!

spence

Post by spence » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks for the input. I picked up a 17ft alumacraft with 70 hp. it's working well, especially when the wind was crankin and I had to get back to the launch! Gets me from point a to point b in good time as well as getting me up shallow when I want to with the minn kota. Been making the trip up from cuse quite often. Lovin the lake!

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 am

Glad to hear my information was a help to some of you in selecting the right boat. I used to have a Starcraft boat with a Mercury 40HP. Unfortunitly the motor eventually went bad and along with my advaced age had to forfeit the unit. Sometimes I feel bad when I can't get out to fish like before but I still fish around the camp as usual. Only difference is I'm using a 12 foot boat that belonged to my dad and my ability to circumvate the lake is now minimal. Anyways - I still believe the best boat is around 16 -17 feet with a 40-50 HP motor and of course a deep V style. Always remember safey first and everything will work out alright. Catch & Release!