fish report 6/21 to 6/27

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

z-nail

Re: fish report 6/21 to 6/27

Post by z-nail » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:41 am

How about logging in all the fish coming into the cleaning stations for each cabin daily? might help to reduce double daily limits.

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:11 am

Maybe a check in at the cleaning station. While we were at the lake I had noticed more than once some guys cleaning thier fish in thier boats. They were putting the fillets in a cooler and the rest of the fish in a bucket.The second time they were checked by the DEC as we were apparently they were not doing any wrong doings because no tickets were issued. They must have been locals because they told the officer they used the scraps for thier gardens. that it was the fertillizer they ever used. I can't image traveling very far with a bucket of scrap fish very smelly. This issue will probably never be solved. :(

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:01 am

This is a bigger problem than I previously thought.

Two weeks ago I had a boat cut me off horribly, then proceed to catch and keep 5 bass all below the legal limit .... if they actually knew the rules they couldn't have cared less. I'd heard about this type of behavior, but it was different actually seeing it with my own eyes. I was shocked.

Overharvest is a BIG problem on Black Lake.

I own a cottage that I rent out .... I will be posting a large sign with the limits and sizes ASAP, as well as a sign encouraging catch and release. If there were a way to track it, I'd give C&R renters a significant break on the rent. Heck, I might even rent to ONLY C&R anglers. Unfortunately there is no way to do that.

CNR

Post by CNR » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:19 am

Wait a second mrs.Simon, so you have a boat cut you off and then proceed to keep undersized fish and you don't do.anything? How do you and others think things are ever going to change unless we are all vigilant and watch for this stuff get boat numbers etc and call 1800-TIPP-DEC
If you guys think posting a bunch of signs is going toto mqke a difference you are sadly mistaken! These people know full well what they're doing.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:18 pm

CNR wrote:Wait a second mrs.Simon, so you have a boat cut you off and then proceed to keep undersized fish and you don't do.anything? How do you and others think things are ever going to change unless we are all vigilant and watch for this stuff get boat numbers etc and call 1800-TIPP-DEC
If you guys think posting a bunch of signs is going toto mqke a difference you are sadly mistaken! These people know full well what they're doing.
You have a point .... but your tone is going to make people defensive, not encourage them to action.

CNR

Post by CNR » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Sorry I just get all worked up when I hear about people getting away with this crap.
The only way to change things up hereto is to send them a message, that's loud and clear, that says hey folks are watching you and guess what they will take action and there WILL be consequences.
The rental cottage/motel owners will do nothing because they don't want to risk driving off business. However , in the long run they are only hurting themselves.
Thanks for your help and support.
Next time I will try to be kinder and gentler :big-grin:

FinsNFeet

Post by FinsNFeet » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and July 26th will be my first trip to BL. I have been reading about it for years and it has always been on the list of lakes I need to fish before my fishing days will be over. I am saddened by what I have read about the unscrupolous fishermen keeping fish. A lot of valid points were made, one very interesting post about their right to keep fish. This is very true, if done legally. In my experience the problem lies with those that limit out, come off the water only to go out again and do it all over. I have seen this on some of my local ponds during ice fishing season. In short time this has a negative effect on the fishery. Selective harvest has been scientifically proven to be effective, that is keep some of the smaller fish for the table and release the larger breeders. Catch and release should be the practice the vast majority of the time out on the water. Keep a meal and put the rest back. I have been keeping an eye on the lake via some of the web cams, I noticed on the web cam on the Toti's Cottages site that there were times the same gentleman in the same white t-shirt and red hat in the fish cleaning station, two to three times in one day. It is a shame that isn't recorded and used as evidence. I hope your lake can weather this storm, as many posted, the renters and resort owners should be paying attention. It may seem that reporting a guest for violations of the Fish and Game laws maybe bad for business, what does a lake that fishes poorly do for business? Just my two cents. Rest assured we, my fishing buddies keep one meal and the rest get CPR, Catch,Photo, Released.

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:42 pm

I did not realize there was a third camera at toti's When I try to take a look it does not work. am I missing something.

BC

Post by BC » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Toti's webcam doesn't work for me either. Maybe they took it down.

CNR

Post by CNR » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:23 am

Well said finsnfeet! I hope you and your friends are having a great grip at BL. PLEASE let us know how it
went and what you thought of the lake/area.

FinsNFeet

Post by FinsNFeet » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Just got back from the Black Lake Trip. It was a tough week with the weather. Thunder Storms and wind. The fishing was slow but summer fishing usually is slower then the spring and fall. My expectations for the lake may have been set a little high I was expecting 50 fish days similar to the days on Onedia Lake in the fall. We did manage to scrap up 15 fish for the two of us in the boat. Would go long periods without any fish, and covered a lot of water. The largest fish for the week was a 5-10 largemouth, with a 5-2 as the kicker. I caught her on a craw-tube in 6 feet of water. The largest smallmouth was 3-2 that my partner caught on the same craw-tube in 10 ft of water. Rocks and grass seemed to hold the majority of the fish. We also did ok topwater fishing. I caught 6 or 7 on a popper and a few more on a scum frog. I lost my favorite frog to a pike or muskie, a very big one. It cut through my 50 Lb. braid like it was butter. Not knowing the lake, I think we did fair. The lake was beautiful and the area was excellent. I don't have a lot experience with the Amish, they were very friendly and always waved as we went passed them while they were fishing off the rocks under the bridge. I don't get to see that often, at all. We stayed at the Lakeside Lodge and met some nice gentlemen that fish the lake often. All in all it was a good trip. We will be back mid October and hope for a little better fishing conditions. I don't mind fishing in the rain, after all the fish are already wet so they don't mind it either. T-Storms are another story but again it is summer, although it didn't feel like summer last week. The cold front may have shut them down a little as well.