Newbie here with some questions

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

howboutthosemets

Newbie here with some questions

Post by howboutthosemets » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:09 pm

Hey everyone, I know its kinda late but am thinking of trying to book a place to stay that is reasonable for 3-4 days from during the stretch from the 23rd of aug- labor day. I went up there on a trip with my dad and uncle back probably 15 years ago ish and had a lot of fun. Wanted to get like 4-6 guys together I have an older deep v 20 ft boat which might be too big for the lake from what I have read, but it is kinda rigged up for salmon fishing and stuff with downriggers so really can't fish more than 2 or 3 guys on there. Hopefully I can get another guy with a boat to come up so we can split the costs and such, but am having a hard time finding people.. My dad can't come of course, would have loved to bring him. Anyways, first- can anyone recommend a place to stay that still might actually be available that is reasonable? Like I said would love to get some friends to go but it might end up just being me or a couple of us. If stuff works out maybe it could turn into an annual trip. Probably will be targeting largemouth or walleye but wondering if anyone ever trolls for muskie up there? I have the gear for it, it could be an option one day if stuff gets boring. Any tips? Is my boat going to be ok? Thanks for the help.

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Newbie here with some questions

Post by Phil » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:27 am

Welcome to the forum and hope you are able to get a trip booked.
Check out the Accommodations Page on this site. You just need to call around for availability and such.
Phil

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:40 am

That boat is going to be really big for Black Lake, but I've seen bigger out there. Just watch for rocks and make sure you ask the camp if their docks can handle a large boat .... most can.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:43 am

There are several nice rentals available. Check out the accomodations that are listed on the left side of the forum. Catch & Release!

toddfore

Post by toddfore » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:57 am

If the wind is blowing, you'll be glad you have that boat. You'll do fine. Seen plenty of 19-20ft bass boats and some pleasure boats. Just be careful in the shallows.

Todd

howboutthosemets

Post by howboutthosemets » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks guys, yeah I checked out a couple places on the accomodations page and emailed but didn't get any responses. It's hard to call cause I work customer service. Is there a lot of rocks and stuff to watch out for? I was thinking of just hooking up the trolling motor and using that mostly cause its a 165 hp motor but it has a trolling plate, still seems like overkill. And yeah I almost always catch and release unless I hook one bad and it's dying or something. Thanks for all the suggestions

erik

Post by erik » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:51 pm

That boats fine. I got a 18' g3 with a 200 HP motor. I've been in 12" of water with it with no issues. Watch for the buoys and trim your motor up when you go under the bridge.