Fishing spots

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

pabeartrap

Fishing spots

Post by pabeartrap » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Hello Thanks for allowing me in. My wife and I are coming to black lake next week for the first time. She enjoys fishing for crappies, so I was wondering if anyone could help us out on somewhere to start. We are staying at Camp Carol. And we do practice catch and release.

Bob-O

Re: Fishing spots

Post by Bob-O » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Well you are staying up north of the Edwardsville bridge not to sure up there. I would try south of the bridge. Devils grave yard, hog back island and along the tree line just south of hog back. If you are not familiar with these names stop by the log cabin and pick up a hot spot map. Good luck and report how you madei out...Bob
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:15 pm

This time of year the crappie are in deeper water. You want to be in at least 12-15 ft of water preferably near drop offs and/or structure. Did somewhat decent over the past week for them.

pabeartrap

Post by pabeartrap » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I know its getting late but im really lookin forward to coming up there and fishin. Heard a lot of good things about the lake.

jwfoba

Post by jwfoba » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Crappies on both sides of the north bridge. Used painted 1/8th oz. jigs with 2.5" Gulp minnows in pearl. Lift/drop or slow roll. Worked on big smallies too and a few 3+lm.
"Jack of all trades, Master of none"
JWFOBA... AKA "Hammer"

pabeartrap

Post by pabeartrap » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:12 pm

yep we used mister twisters but had same results. Even caught a decent pike. Caught the bigger crappies in 8 ft off water.