First time on Black Lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

CPeters

First time on Black Lake

Post by CPeters » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:41 pm

I am coming to Black Lake in the middle of September. I am staying at "The Log Cabins" and was wondering how the fishing was at that time of year and also looking for some info on where to fish. I know that there is a "hot spot" map for the lake but I believe talking to the people who know is always best. I'm looking to find some Norhtern's, Walleye's and Bass. Any info that is shared would be greatly appreciated.

CPeters

Re: First time on Black Lake

Post by CPeters » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:33 pm

OK..... Can someone at least tell me the color and clarity of the water. Please

pabeartrap

Post by pabeartrap » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:10 pm

I just got back on Monday from there. The water was off color with no visibility. We caught bass pretty much anywhere , one northern below Edwardsville bridge , and never could find a walleye. should be better in September. Good luck

cw14

Post by cw14 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:36 pm

Water is kinda green due to alge and weeds. Not much visibility. We were up that time last year and will be up again this year. Crappie were all over. Some bass few pike. Good solid fishing

erik

Post by erik » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:06 pm

The lakes clearing up. The wind pushed all the weeds to the northern shore at least up near my camp ( near black lake marine).
The crappie were hitting nice today. Ended up with 10 keepers. Biggest was 11.5" most were 9.5"-10". Threw back about 20 that were 8"-8.5". Caught some bass mixed in.

CPeters

Post by CPeters » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for the updates. I really appericiate the info. We are hoping to make this a yearly adventure from NePa to Black Lake.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:40 am

CPeters wrote:OK..... Can someone at least tell me the color and clarity of the water. Please

Middle of Sept water color will be different than August which is currently green pea soup looking in most areas. All depends on the wind, no wind very green on the surface as the stuff floats up. When windy it gets suspended in the water column. By middle september that should be gone and just the usual dark tinge to the water with about 3 foot of visibility. Neverless the fish still bite the same.
I don't use live bait. For Northerns which I don't target at all, but I have relatives from florida that get a kick out of catching them for some reason. If you want to catch some use a chartreuse and orange spinnerbait with 2 copper colored colorado blades. Vary the speed of retrieve to find what they want, usually fast. If only Bass are hitting it then your going to slow. Fish that over submerged weedbeds anywhere. Bring a couple of them cause usually after a few fish the wire is buggered up where it won't run straight. I don't target walleye, but a coworker uses a worm harness on a bottom bouncing rig (what ever that is) and does fairly well especially when drifting will a slight southwest wind starting off of woods island. For bass just pound the rocky banks with spinnerbaits and crank baits.
Expect a few days to be rocking and rolling on the main lake with whitecaps from wind.
Don't forget to bring a cooler, might not need two since most of the population might be already back in PA by then.

nanookofnj

Post by nanookofnj » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:38 am

If drifting for large numbers of SM in the fall appeals to you, drive past Tavern island from the North and drift the bottom between(and also to the right of, when heading away from Tavern) the small island to your left in the cove to the tip of the bay opening to the left. We have always slaughtered them in that spot. Tubes are ok, but for sheer numbers drift a shiner and or crab on or near bottom. Morning, noon and night they will bite there.

CPeters

Post by CPeters » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:32 am

Thanks for the info guys. If there is anything else you guys feel I need to know just drop a line. Thanks again.