Hard Pine Island

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

kaziemierz

Hard Pine Island

Post by kaziemierz » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:02 am

In looking over old newspapers (1800's) about Black Lake, my wife has come across referrences to a "Hard Pine Island". I know names chance over the years, and we see no island of that name on current maps. Does anyone know which island was once known as Hard Pine?

CNR

Re: Hard Pine Island

Post by CNR » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:46 pm

I don't know, but I would love to read these articles and I'm sure many other would enjoy them also! Any chance do scanning them and posting on this site? Thanks

kaziemierz

Post by kaziemierz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:41 pm

CNR; I'd love to be able to, but it's not turning out to be feasabel. The papers are in pdf format (found online) and I cannot seem to be able to isolate the individual articles to copy and paste.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:10 am

If they are online even better. Just post a link to the newspaper page if possible. I've read thru all these below but looking for more info since we have a place on the lake now.

http://greg13646.tripod.com/Rossiehistory.html

kaziemierz

Post by kaziemierz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:14 pm

492VS;

Hey, thanks for that site about Rossie. My wife and I purchased a camp on Fish Creek (about 100 yards from the mouth, opening into "The Cut") late last year. Nancy found this one site Fulton History.org (I think) that has scans of newspapers from all over NY from the early 1800s to present day. She's been messing about looking for articles that mention Black Lake and has found some great articles.

Illegal fishing and thieves and drownings and a fisherman's club on Elisabeth Isle and local politicians coming around to make speeches and such.

And one article mentioned a gang of thieves that hid out on Hard Pine Island.

She only has the time to look into this on the weekends, so, I'll have her get the URLs of specific pages the next time she's messing about with it.

Thanks again for the link. Lots of great reading there to be had.

Alexander

CNR

Post by CNR » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 pm

I'm not 100% Sure but I think you need full version of pdf in order to copy parts of an entire doc. Like someone else said if you just post the links that would work just as well.
Thanks!