New to the forum

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Scott C.

New to the forum

Post by Scott C. » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:06 pm

Just realized I placed this post in the wrong area so i moved it here.

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and enjoyed reading the posts here. I have only traveled to Black lake once about 6 years ago. I camped at Back Bay Campgrounds and fished the southern part of the lake. I am looking to fish Wednesday June 10th. Hoping the fishing is good. Thinking of launching at the state launch which if I am correct there is only one?? I don't know the lake well at all and hope this year I can learn it a little. I like to target northern pike and bass so hopefully this week will be good. i'n getting the Mepps ready.

fishinmagician

Re: New to the forum

Post by fishinmagician » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:50 am

Welcome to forum. If you want to learn the lake, start with a Hot Spot map of BL. A ton of info there and lots of questions you haven't thought of yet will be answered. Save yourself some grief and do not target bass until the June 20th opening of the season. BL has no official catch and release for bass. If your a pike fan all the bays with weed growth are good places to start. You will catch bass without trying, just get them released ASAP. Don't know what your riding in but watch the weather and the wind. If it's real windy and your boat is small use caution, I came close to sinking a 18' bass boat a couple of years back. (bilge pump issue). To answer your question, the state boat ramp is the best choice. It's in the middle of the lake so going north or south is a coin toss. You can get Hot Spot maps, on Line, Gander Mtn. (there's one in Cicero on I-81 and Watertown
I-81 also and local tackle shops on the lake). Reports are of low water, watch for rocks, study your map. Good luck and be safe.
Let us know how your trip went.
The second amendment is in place, in case THEY decide to ignore all the others.

chris14race

Post by chris14race » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:01 am

welcome... hope you find some fish... give us a report afterward :big-grin:

chris14race

Post by chris14race » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:06 am

11 days and counting til we get there... first time for bass opener :big-grin: :confused: :D :) :roll: :lol: 8)

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks for the replies and info guys. The map I have is from the Sportman's Connection Western Adirondack Fishing Map Guide. It's a decent map but I will get one of those Hot Spot maps. I'm close to Utica and there is a Gander and Bass Pro in town.
My boat is a 2013 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600 with a Mercury 60 HP outboard. I am careful especially on a new lake. I plan on taking it slow and having fun.
When I fished the southern part of the lake several years ago it was late July and fishing was slow. I caught some pike and bass and had fun fishing a new lake.
I will report back with an update.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:32 am

The fish should be biting great when you are there, especially if the weather is stable.

Your boat is pretty fast, so I'd recommend exploring the lake. There are fish spread out from the falls in Rossie all the way to the Oswegatchie. You can fish weeds, rocks, shoals, flats, sand, or whatever you want.

Have fun and post pictures!