Bass and pike fly fishing

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

njmike

Bass and pike fly fishing

Post by njmike » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:41 am

I started fly fishing for bass a few years ago. My casting could definitely use more work so I bring the fly rod along with my conventional rods. I only use it when the wind is light. It is different and challenging for me and that's why I like it. Anyone else fly fish?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

Fishpro

Re: Bass and pike fly fishing

Post by Fishpro » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Though I mostly fly-fish for trout in the Spring I used to fly fish for Bass for many years. There is absolutely nothing like a large Bass leaping out of the water after a popper bug. It is so rewarding to watch. Catching large Blue Gills on flies is also a lot of fun. I can remember one night when I was walking the shoreline I noticed fish going crazy for bugs. Went back to camp and returned with my fly rod. Although unindated by mosquitoes, I caught large Blue Gill after Blue Gill. Suddenly everything seemed to explode in front of me when a large Bass engulfed my Royal Coachman fly. Gave me a good run for my money :big-grin: Fly fishing in my opinion is the ultimate in fishing. Catch & Release!

Curt In Heuvy

Post by Curt In Heuvy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:43 am

using a fly rod for bass and panfish is extremely fun. I have be working with my 8 yr old son and a fly rod. he is dedicated to learning the technique. I use poppers and wooley buggers mostly. I love the look on his face when he catches a fish no matter how big it is or what species it is he is very proud. I have never hooked a trout with a fly but have not spent much time trying. as far as bass, pan fish and shiner I have caught all three (and a couple walleye over the years). however talking about small fish the shiners can give a mighty fun fight.
I recommend giving fly fishing with a popper for bass a try. it is very fun and you never know what might bite. you could catch the largest bass of your life with the smallest hook in your box.

njmike

Post by njmike » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:28 am

This is a fly I use for bass but it works very well for smallmouth. It works just like a crank bait. As you strip line it dives with a tight wiggle. when you stop it floats back up to the surface. I tied this fly and used it my first time out fly fishing for bass and caught a smallmouth on my first cast. Talk about hooked.
Attachments
0222131526b.jpg
0222131526b.jpg (98.54 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson